So who is trying to rip me off? Car tires

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:08 pm
We purchased a certified pre owned car a year ago. I brought the car in for its last "free" service at the dealer. They tell me that we have a slow leak in a tire due to a nail and it us not fixable so we need a new tire. They didn't have in stock so they gave me the cost and details so I could call if I wanted them to replace it.

Instead I called a tire place and I went today to replace it. They said I should replace another tire as the treads are wearing and it would cause them to be off balance and I'd likely need to replace them all within 6 months or less any way...showing me his gadget where they determine treads. He suggested I think on it as leak is a slow leak and the air pressure hasn't changed in three days.

I left deciding who is pulling my leg...why would the dealer only replace one tire if this was true? Why on a certified pre owned car that we had only one year already need new tires?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 294 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:27 pm
@Linkat,
Boy do I have a story about that! During the pandemic we decided to take a few days and drive up the coast, nice scenic drive. Well three days before we left I went and had four new tires put on the car. We got about a hundred miles away and one of those new tires just fell apart so we have to find a tire shop and buy a new one. This tire shop told me it was tire rot. I had pictures taken of the tire and when I contacted the shop I purchased the tires from they wouldn’t do anything because they said I didn’t purchase their road hazard warranty!

It wasn’t road hazard it was tire rot!

After they said there was nothing they could do I told them I was planning on putting new tires on the Jeep but I would be purchasing them elsewhere.
Mame

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:43 pm
@jcboy,
That's despicable! I bought my tires at Kal-Tire where I get my regular maintenance done. Their deal is that as long as you rotate them when specified, they will cover any regular damage for the life of the tires. I have driven over a screw in the road twice and they've repaired it both times. When I bought them, I asked for and got a mini-essay/briefing on what and why they recommended what they did. I then called another tire outfit and double-checked with them. Women are particularly prey to scammers, and I'm a little on the old side, too, so have to be triply careful. Buggers!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 03:48 pm
Well I have a call into the dealer and they are supposed to call me back ...haven't heard yet...we purchased in a span of a year 3 cars from this dealership ...I brought my mom and then my daughter so they better explain themselves.

We also have a mechanic who has been very reasonable with us ...small things he repaired and did not charge us for example...i will call tomorrow and ask him to give his opinion.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
I don't understand why a nail is not fixable since I drove over two screws and it was a quick fix both times. The only time they don't cover (fix or replace) it if it's in the sidewall or you rammed into something.

There's something fishy about that. It's about a $12 and 10 minute fix.
Linkat

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 04:32 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I don't understand why a nail is not fixable since I drove over two screws and it was a quick fix both times. The only time they don't cover (fix or replace) it if it's in the sidewall or you rammed into something.

There's something fishy about that. It's about a $12 and 10 minute fix.

Well both places said it was not fixable..and yeah I've had luck at this tire place before where to they fixed it for a small amount.

The dealership closes in half an hour and I have not heard back from them

I am just getting ticked off at places...we had a quote for tiling two rooms ...one is a small half bath and they guy quoted us as much for the half bath as this other person did for the half bath and a large room ... Both people came recommended from sources we trust ..guess which one we went with ...haven't gotten the bigger room dine yet but the half bath came out looking really nice.

Just cannot trust people.
Mame

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 06:43 pm
@Linkat,
It's really, really disappointing when that happens.

We had a tar and pitch roof in West Van that needed doing - I got all kinds of quotes - from $1600 - $32,000!!! Guess which one didn't want the job? Yep. People can be a) unreliable (accept job but then not show up), b) liars (misquote you up the ying-yang), and c) scammers (quote for stuff you don't need).

I go to this place I mentioned for maintenance. They wanted to charge me $125 for an oil change on my tiny car. So I bought the oil and filter myself ($35) and asked what they would charge to do it (10 - 15 min) - they said $30. So, I saved $60... the next year, I went in with my stuff and the guy said it was $60 to change the oil. I said, last year it was $30. He looked through something and said, "Oh. Well, it's $34"... same outfit, different guy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Mar, 2022 07:59 pm
@Linkat,
I always go to Discount tires - they usually give me a 50,000 miles warranty on tires and I get a free tire check and alignment whenever I want to. Discount tire matches any price if you bring in a picture/ad where it's cheaper.
We have horrible road conditions here in SoCal - just like in Tijuana if not worse and I always have had a problem with tires. Now I have Tesla and the tires seem indestructible *knock on wood*
Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2022 08:12 am
@CalamityJane,
We don't have a "Discount tires" - any way - the dealer called me back this morning - he explained why they did not say to replace both back tires - he said usually as long as they are within a "2" difference with the treads you are fine - he said that a new tire would be 9 vs 7 for current tire - or whatever the measurement is - in any case it would be within the 2 parameter - he also said believe me we would have stated you would need 2 tires if that was the case as we make money selling more.

Trying to get a final quote with everything to make sure before I agree to change - the leak is very slow as we have not shown any tire pressure change after several days - he did confirm unfortunately because of where the nail is it is not repairable. I wonder if construction on our place resulted in this nail - I know I did sweep up the driveway to make sure there were no nails and stuff - but we had construction over a couple of weeks so yeah I could see that.

I have found too that most places (if you are having any work done like an oil change) will rotate your tires at no extra cost.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » So who is trying to rip me off? Car tires
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 05:16:51