Help with an ending for this novel?

Sat 26 Mar, 2022 07:39 pm
I am writing a book about a young woman with a boyfriend she considers toxic and a player even though she instinctively believed he was her soul mate.

Having studied into the cycles of abusive relationships, I understand that it is usually far more complicated than to demand of a victim to "just leave". For example, my heroine might be financially dependent on her abuser or she has no other social supports besides him or he threatens to harm her if she leaves or she simply has intense love for him.

My main character is an empath and the guy is a narcissist so this is a dynamic I have enjoyed playing with; one of the reasons she has put up with him is because there is a powerful chemistry and energetic/spiritual connection between them that she never quite experienced with anyone else...she also knows he is mentally unwell/messed up as a result of repeated trauma which is why she has tried to remain patient/understanding.

However, at some point her patience runs out and after she gives him numerous ultimatums, she finally calls it quits...so she carries out her safety plan and escapes, but he eventually locates her and insists that "if he can't have her no one can". There is a "crazy love" element to their relationship.

The publisher I want to submit this to is pretty much PG-rated so I want to write it so that it is realistic without being too intense. For instance the "50 Shades of Grey" trilogy ended with the 2 main characters in a "happily ever after" despite that the protagonist's partner was clearly unrepentantly abusive which many readers were triggered by because reality does not work this way. Abusive relationships usually end in break-ups/divorces or the victim being seriously harmed or worse.

So I am finding myself in a dilemma here. My instincts are telling me to write it so that she forces her abuser to really to acknowledge he has a problem and to change but I also know most abusers don't. However, it took my antagonist almost losing the one he loves to realize how much he took her for granted.

The message I want to send victims is that contrary to what most (including the batterer) might tell them, they are never at fault for their own abuse, and the message I want to send batterers is that they need to accept full ownership for their behavior or otherwise lose the blessing they are mistreating.

The message I want to give readers is that even if a relationship is abusive, it doesn't necessarily mean that both parties are bad people or even a bad match, but that it's all about that aspect of power and control.

Although I know her leaving him or her getting killed by him would make the story seem more realistic, part of me still wants my characters to work things out. I want a happy ending for this "soul connection", but in a way that takes her batterer through the wringer and forces him to accept full responsibility for his actions (something Christian Grey didn't seem to have to go through, imo Ana was an enabler), while I make his survivor recognize her own worth. Therefore I make this reconciliation and his reformation realistic, but I am open to other ideas.

View best answer, chosen by The1Barbie
jespah
  Selected Answer

Sat 26 Mar, 2022 08:14 pm
@The1Barbie,
Give him a major health scare. It punctures any internal belief that he's indestructible, and he realizes he needs her.

Cancer if you want him to possibly recover; Lou Gehrig's disease if you don't.
The1Barbie

Sat 26 Mar, 2022 08:22 pm
@jespah,
Thanks jespah this is a great idea. Another issue that makes this complicated is that he himself feels like an abuse victim in which he feels stuck in another relationship with a toxic 3rd party that feels very domineering and controlling and she chose to leave him because he couldn't prove himself single so I am also trying to find ways to work with this. I guess she does eventually take him back but not without him suffering a major ego death first.
Miss L Toad

Sun 27 Mar, 2022 01:02 am
@The1Barbie,
You'd need to make his transgressions almost unforgivable but not criminal.

Have a break up.

Reconciliation.

Unknown ending.

There's ten more chapters.

(I'd throttle back on the abuse if you wish to sell the story.)
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Sun 27 Mar, 2022 06:37 am
Abusers are narcissistic and only get worse with age; getting sick only makes them nastier.

Let your girl ride into the sunset on a white stallion.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help with an ending for this novel?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:03:26