Process
Schedule
Patriotic
Been
Bananas
Secretary
Missile
Saint (when used as a title)

No big discussion in mind, just something I was think about. If you have comments or other words to add...

...love to hear them.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 471 • Replies: 18
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 12:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Place names and nationalities. Tunisia.

Chew Nizz Ee A.

Add an Nfor the nationality. I had no idea you pronounced it differently until I saw an episode of American Dad.

I think we've covered place names ending Borough.

We pronounce most words differently, the words that usually catch American actors out are Amazon Python and Pentagon.

We don't pronounce the o, there is a glottal stop instead.

Even John Oliver pronounces it the American way now so no wonder it trips so many up.

When I was a kid I thought lieutenant and leftenant were different army ranks not different pronunciations. I can't remember which one ranked higher, I think it depended on what I was watching.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 12:25 pm
@izzythepush,
And when you say Brits I suspect you mean English, the Scots have their own pronunciations as do the Welsh.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 02:00 pm
Privacy
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 02:10 pm
A fiver, a tenner, quid Razz
izzythepush

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 02:36 pm
@jcboy,
Knicker, five knicker, ten knicker. Same as fiver and tenner.
jcboy

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 03:01 pm
@izzythepush,
And this is what they call cats. Razz

coluber2001

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 04:49 pm
Ordin-ary--American

Ordin-ry--English. (that's the way it sounds to me.)
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2022 09:19 pm
"Americans today pronounce some words more like Shakespeare than Brits do… but it’s in 18th-Century England where they’d really feel at home."

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/20180207-how-americans-preserved-british-english

Different dialects are a delight to the eardrum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dialects_of_English#United_States

minutiae

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 01:30 am
@jcboy,
A few yearsbackthe BBC updated some old sitcoms, Dad's Army had some lost episodes recast and Porridge was about Norman Stanley Fletcher's grandson. Both received excellent reviews, they also did Are You Being Served.

That did not go down so well, primarily Jason Watkins' limp wristed portrayal of Mr Humphries was dated and homophobic and people are no longer interested in a middle aged woman talking about her vagina all day long.

There is a reason why this awful sitcom was consigned to the trash bin and never shown again. It is a real embarrassment.

The slang term for a cat that most people use is moggy.
roger

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 02:31 am
@izzythepush,
I wish I could remember the the name of the lady that posted about her moggy. She also had a hedgehog in her garden.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 02:39 am
@roger,
We had hedgehogs at our last house.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 10:29 am
Words that end in "ile" used to be pronounced "ul" in America, such as reptile--rep-tul or missile--miss-ul.
Now more and more they pronounce it like the English do: rep-tile or miss-ile.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 11:21 am
@coluber2001,
The differences that hit you are the ones you're unaware of, like Tunisia. When I first heard the American punctuation I had to do a double take, I wasn't sure what it was at first.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 11:55 am
@izzythepush,
Oh, how do you pronounce Tunisia?

We usually pronounce it Tu-ne'-zha, but I've heard Tu-ne'-zia.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 11:57 am
@coluber2001,
Look at my first post on this thread.
0 Replies

Yalow

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2022 05:42 pm
@jcboy,
That was really funny! It made me laugh!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2022 04:49 am
Exclamation Mark.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2022 02:51 am
Here's one. On Sunday they showed the most recent episode of The Simpsons. It's the one where Brandine is found to be secretly smart.

That's how far behind we are on The Simpsons, the Christmas one usually arrives mid summer.

That's another point.

What I noticed was a simple Brandine used, when she said something was harder than a month old biscuit.

Now I know that a biscuit in America is more like a scone and nothing like a biscuit over here, which is why it doesn't work.

There was a famous legal case.

Over here cakes and biscuits are treated differently when it comes to paying VAT. Biscuits are charged VAT, but cakes are exempt because they are seen as freshly baked.

There is a chocolate orange confection known as a Jaffa Cake. They are in the same aisle as the biscuits and, because they're cakes are cheaper.

The government wasn't happy about this saying that Jaffa cakes were biscuits in all but name and should be subject to VAT.

It went to court and eventually found in favour of the manufacturers. The definition between cake and biscuit hinged on what happened when they went stale.

When cakes go stale they become hard, but when biscuits go stale they become soft, and Jaffa cakes go hard, so they are cakes.

So a month old biscuit is as soft as it gets.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Words that Brits pronounce...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 09:40:36