Why do they need this at this point?

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 12:02 pm
My wife and I have been renting a home for a number of years. We're in the process of looking for a house to purchase and last year we resigned our lease for another year. Again, been here a number of years already and the management of the house has changed hands a few times. The current property management firm has been in place for a number of years. It seems like every so often they'll send us an email requesting a new form of ID or document they want us to fill out and submit. A little while ago we got an email from the property management stating, "With the recent changes in active vs. non-active military status for our leases, we need to have you fill out the attached T-436 form, along with emailing a copy of your government issued photo ID." Not sure why they are requesting that. If it's going to save us on our rent sure. My wife is ex-military but she hasn't been enlisted in more than 20 years. They've never asked for that before so why now. Anyone got any ideas why they may be asking for this. Yes, I will reach out to them but I just think it's strange that they are constantly asking us for more documents months after we resigned the lease. A few months ago they wanted us to send in copies of both our SS cards and verification of who we were.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 667 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 01:49 pm
@Barry2021,
Not sure but when you mentioned active vs no fact I've military my first thought was if one is active military they could be called to be deployed.... I was guess there is something in place where someone gets deployed they are protected against breaking a lease so with recent Ukraine attacks the leasing company is trying to be prepared to do whatever legal stuff may occur if several tenants are called to action.

Do you have many military living there? At least that is an initial guess.
Barry2021

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 03:48 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Not sure but when you mentioned active vs no fact I've military my first thought was if one is active military they could be called to be deployed.... I was guess there is something in place where someone gets deployed they are protected against breaking a lease so with recent Ukraine attacks the leasing company is trying to be prepared to do whatever legal stuff may occur if several tenants are called to action.

Do you have many military living there? At least that is an initial guess.

My wife is 51 years old and hasn't been enlisted in more than 20 years. I seriously doubt they are going to call her back into action.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:16 pm
@Barry2021,
That is why they are asking for clarification on who could potentially be called back vs would not...thus they asking who is active and who is not....again a simple guess due to the current conflicts overseas. If your wife answers she is not active then there would be no protection against breaking the lease whereas your next door neighbor is active then they would have the paperwork in place to allow whatever needs to be in place for that individual.

But if you truly wanted to know I would think a simple inquiry to the leasing manager would get you that answer.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:23 pm
@Barry2021,
1. Call for an appointment with the local branch of "Retired Military Affairs" office, or on the closest military base to you. Whether your wife is ex-military or retired, they may be able to guide you. Or point you in the right direction (perhaps another office on base that handles affairs for non-retired ex-military, if your wife has less than 20 years in service).

2. Bring all requests, forms, and documentation to them.

3. Be prepared to move really soon if the "management" gets "upset" with you for uncovering a privacy invasion scam...

In my experience (20 years and retired), the housing agency (or whoever owns the property) can only ask, through agreement with the military agency, for a valid identification card if you are active-duty. This is in case of rapid deployment and sudden evacuation of the house, but also to cover in case the lessee hightails it out with a few months back rent due, so they can track them easily his their ID card via their command. Used to happen with US Military in foreign countries.

There is no purpose to ask for your SSN card or number (which appears on your ID card anyway). To "verify who you are" it might be OK to ask for your driver's license with photo.

On the other hand, if the "management" has known you for years already and you are in good standing regarding payments, etc., I really can't see a valid reason why they would treat you like a stranger and first-time lessee at this time...

I could be wrong, but I smell some sort of scam here.
Barry2021

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:33 pm
I just pulled up the attached form and here is the wording verbatim:

"This form may be used to confirm that a prospective tenant is NOT currently in military service. If a prospective tenant military service, consideration may be given to have him or her sign "Waiver of Rights" form (standard form 435-T)."

We're not prospective tenants. We've been in this house some 15 years already. We do not live in a military town and we're miles from the closest military base. And I do mean MILES!
Mame

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 04:56 pm
@Barry2021,
So write and tell them that and to quit bugging you.
Linkat

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 05:01 pm
@Barry2021,
Then ask them? If someone like a landlord, employer, etc wanted additional information about me after years of being there and they gave no reason why or was a bit wishy washy on it ...I'd ask? I'd even just send them a note and say nothing has changed in our status in this way. Is there a particular reason you need this I fo?
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2022 06:14 pm
@Barry2021,
It's part of the SCRA Act. No biggie, just answer it.

https://www.consumerfinance.gov/consumer-tools/educator-tools/servicemembers/the-servicemembers-civil-relief-act-scra/

https://yourhometriad.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Military-Status-Addendum-SAMPLE.pdf
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 08:00 am
@Mame,
Trust me, my wife will not be submitting any form about her military service given that she hasn't been in the military for 20+ years. And this is the type of property management that nickel and dime you for everything. They do not accept cash tot pay the rent but they charge you however you pay. They have a rental portal that you can pay your rent but they charge you an extra $10 for a technology fee. They charge you extra if you pay with a check or money order because now they have to go to the bank and actually make a deposit into their account. So basically they're charging you more to pay your rent.
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 08:29 am
@Barry2021,
Don't they have an ability for you to do an automatic monthly direct deposit? We can deposit cheques by taking a photo of front and back and it's deposited digitally. Don't your banks allow that?
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 09:47 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Don't they have an ability for you to do an automatic monthly direct deposit? We can deposit cheques by taking a photo of front and back and it's deposited digitally. Don't your banks allow that?

Yes, most banks do these days. Are you referring to like an automatic draft from our account to theirs for the rent? Well, that would fall under the technology fee. Not sure how they could do a mobile deposit with a money order which is how we pay. We don't use their portal site anymore due to an issue last year n regards to a repair. We have checking accounts but we haven't had actual paper checks in years since everything has gone the way of debit cards and mobile banking.

Up until last summer we had been paying our rent through their portal and everything was working out fine. During the summer months the AC was running all day but it was still like 80 degrees inside the house so we put in a maintenance request to have someone come out and check the unit. They came and said there was nothing wrong with the unit but stated that our furniture was blocking the vents, which they were not. You can stand in any room and see the vents but the maintenance guy said that the sofa was too close to the vent, etc. He also mentioned that the AC filter needed to be changed, however, he didn't change it. The guy said that there was nothing wrong with the AC unit then he left. Within a few days we received a new charge on our portal site for the maintenance call stating that since they sent out a tech and there was nothing wrong we have to pay for that call. In speaking with the girl in the office I informed her that this is a rental home and since when are tenants responsible for maintenance calls. She point out in our lease where it says that "if a tenant damages an appliance or unit them we were responsible for the repair." That's all in good but look at the situation. Their tech guy said there was nothing wrong with the unit so there was no damage done. Then on top of that all he mentioned was that the filter needed to be replaced, which "we" did. He didn't even do that so technically there was no repair done so why are we being charged for anything?

Then to add to the mix, we noticed that the kitchen flor was sinking and the cabinets were pulling away from the way and the stove and fridge were leaning. They sent someone one who said there was a leak under the sink, under the house, and that the floor would need to be replaced. Eventually they came out and tore out most of the kitchen floor and when they exposed he beams under the sink they discovered that all the beams were saturated with water thus causing the wood under the floor to rot out thus causing the floor to sink. You know what they did? The flooring company called the property management company and informed them what they found and all the prop. management company told them to do was put in new beams and replace the floor. They did nothing for the leak. In speaking with the flooring company they said that it makes no sense to just repair the flooring unless they were going to send a plumber out to fix the leak because eventually that leak will damage the new flooring and eventually it was going to cause the floor to sag again. Guess what the management company said. "Just repair for flooring." They did nothing for the leak.

Yes, I have spoken with them and with an agency here in our city which deals with landlord / tenant relations and nothing has come from it. I guess the property management company is refusing to cooperate with them to resolve the issue with the AC unit and the flooring. My wife is on my case about just paying what they say is owed but I refuse to give them money for stuff that any reputable property management company normally covers. We don't use the portal anymore because they have tacked on the additional fees for the AC issue. So, we have been just giving them money orders for the signed lease amount of the rent. And given that we're not using any technology by paying our rent on their portal which means we shouldn't be charged the tech fee. That was last summer and my wife feels they will eventually try to evict us for non payment of rent. I told her we're paying the rent, we're just not paying for a maintenance call or repair that nothing was found wrong nor was any repair done. I could see it if I was out cutting the grass and a rock shout out and damaged the AC unit. Or if I was trimming the hedges and I accidentally cut one of the wires. But the maintenance guy said there was nothing wrong with the unit nor did he chance the filter. We had to buy that and put it in our selves, which we did.

So again, I do not see why they want us now, months after the lease was resigned, to fill out a form for "prospective tenants" and their military service. We're not prospective tenants. We've been here for years.
Linkat

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 10:27 am
@Barry2021,
again - did you ask?

We cannot know for sure why they would ask - we can surmise but that is it? At least I can vouch for myself - I am not mind reader.

Maybe ask on here if someone is a mind reader could you please let me know "why they want us now, months after the lease was resigned, to fill out a form for "prospective tenants" and their military service?"
Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:08 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

again - did you ask?

We cannot know for sure why they would ask - we can surmise but that is it? At least I can vouch for myself - I am not mind reader.

Maybe ask on here if someone is a mind reader could you please let me know "why they want us now, months after the lease was resigned, to fill out a form for "prospective tenants" and their military service?"

Asked but no reply yet. When I ask they give a general reply. "Please review the form and submit it back to us." No real reason why they need it months after we've signed the lease and years after we've been in this house.
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:20 am
@Barry2021,
What would happen if you didn't return it? Or wrote "Not Applicable" on it and sent it back?
neptuneblue

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:35 am
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:
Asked but no reply yet. When I ask they give a general reply. "Please review the form and submit it back to us." No real reason why they need it months after we've signed the lease and years after we've been in this house.

Geez, what a self-absorbed person you are.

Again, housing regulations require Compliance. You have NO IDEA how operations work for Fair Housing laws.

Just fill the damn thing out and send it in.

Is Life really so complicated for you at ALL TIMES???
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:53 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

What would happen if you didn't return it? Or wrote "Not Applicable" on it and sent it back?

That I don't know because they just emailed me yesterday. I'm still trying to get clarification as to why they need it now. I understand that everyone is concerned about the war between Russia and Ukraine but as of right now no US troops are being sent to help fight and none have been projected to go. Like I said, my wife is 51 years old and hasn't been in active duty in some 20+ years. She's not being called up to be shipped over seas. She's not even in the reserves.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 07:01 pm
Don't give anyone your ss# who is not with the US government.

They are trying to get information to come after you in case you leave too much damage or try to beat them out of some rent.

If it were me, I'd stay polite but I certainly would not give them any more information.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2022 08:49 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Of course banks and employers need SS#, too.
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2022 09:04 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Trust me, I've not given them anything. Just like last year when they wanted us to send copies of our IDs and stuff. We've been here for years and have signed multiple lease renewals but it seems that now they want all this additional information. We're not providing anything without a legitimate reason as to why you need it.

1. Forums
  2. » Why do they need this at this point?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:50:41