"Middlesex" and "Midnight's Children"

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 09:25 am
I just finished reading "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. I was very impressed. About halfway through, the vague familiarity that was swimming around was ID'ed -- it is a LOT like "Midnight's Children." The tone, the sweep, the moving around in time, the transcendant narrator, the riots and bloodshed, and on and on.

I just checked Google and found a few references to similarities on the first couple of pages of hits.

What do you think? If you've only read "Middlesex", what did you think of it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,724 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 05:08 pm
Interesting interview:

http://www.bombsite.com/eugenides/eugenides.html

The part that ties in with this:

Quote:
Midnight's ChildrenRushdieLiterary influence is like genetics, too. Rushdie got some of his fireworks from Günter Grass and Gabriel García Márquez. García Márquez got things from Kafka and Faulkner. So, with Middlesex, you could say I inherited traits from all these ancestors, not to mention good old Homer. But some of my stuff bears no relation to these writers. Different gene pool entirely.

Influence isn't just a matter of copying someone or learning his or her tricks. You get influenced by writers whose work gives you hints about your own abilities and inclinations. Being influenced is largely a process of self-discovery. What you have to do is put all your influences into the blender and arrive at your own style and vision.Now take Rushdie. He came from exotic origins, Bombay, (exotic to the English, anyway) and went to Cambridge. With both these writers, there is belonging and not belonging. In my own case, I was sent to a private prep school in Grosse Pointe, a place that made me more aware of my supposed "ethnicity" than I had been in public school. This marked me. I think it's no surprise that I might be influenced by a writer like Roth who writes very much about being American but also about being Jewish. I also happen to admire his books.

But I don't want to take this similarity business too far. I love Henry James but I'm not much like him. Maybe that's the Grosse Pointe in me, though. After all, I went to black-tie affairs when I was 16. We smoked pot behind the bushes in our tuxedos. Very Jamesian.

I really liked the part I both bolded and italicized. I think that's very true. I still nurture the conceit that I may sometime write a novel that also has these hybrid, half-this/ half-that aspects, the belonging and not-belonging, and it makes sense that I also respond to fiction that is something like what I would love to write, if I had a tenth as much talent as those guys.
0 Replies

mothernature

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:45 pm
I loved Middlesex too. What a great book.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:40 am
Oh hi there mothernature, only just saw this. Tell me more. What did you like best? What bothered you?

"Chapter Eleven" was a bit annoying for me, especially in the earlier sections which were more straightforward/ not as postmodern. Seemed too coy.
0 Replies