The Gas Company threatened me!

jcboy

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2022 06:50 pm
They have been selecting random homes in the neighborhood, changing out the gas lines to the homes. After seeing how they tore up my neighbor’s back yard I decided to ignore their monthly letters. Well this time they came out on a Saturday no less and said either I schedule to have the gas line replaced or they would have to shut off my gas!

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2022 08:55 pm
Looks like you won't have a choice.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2022 09:06 pm
@jcboy,
Try calling your local government office, find out who keeps track of energy issues and problems, and ask them a few questions.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2022 11:30 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

They have been selecting random homes in the neighborhood, changing out the gas lines to the homes.

I really think you're focused on the wrong thing. The potential cosmetic damage to one's lawn? If they're threatening to turn off your gas line (aka their own revenue stream)? There has to be for a reason why they're doing this NOW. Quite possibly a legitimate reason regarding you and your neighbors' safety.

You know how some companies recall dangerous and defective products. Products that can hurt or even kill the users? Known brake issues on a popular car.

If this is true. Then the gas company is doing something wrong by NOT being transparent about any serious defect they might have discovered in their gas delivery system (especially pertaining to the pipes leading up to your house). Maybe it's an issue of faulty pipe joints. Maybe it's an issue of pipe degradation (meaning the pipes have a shorter lifespan than predicted ). What I'm trying to say is that the gas company could be trying to save you and your house and your neighbors' houses from a potential gas explosion. But they're doing it a murky/hush-hush cover-up fashion because honesty ain't in their business model.

Try to think of a possible bigger picture for why they're doing it. Especially if they are doing this work AND NOT charging you for it. Basically, they're not doing it out of the goodness of their own heart. They may not want a catastrophe and potentially several $million lawsuits from their customers losing property, home, and life. If you catch my not-so-subtle drift.

Ask them why they need to do this. Ask a third-party contractor to investigate the potential project. You might find out how urgent this needs to be done and a little dead grass is such a small sacrifice for your safety and the safety of your neighbors.
jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 09:45 am
@tsarstepan,
I’ll have to call them tomorrow and ask why it has to be done. This guy really didn’t give me an answer.

Well I had to sign to have the work done. I have to allow them access to the property next Wednesday. He said it would take about six hours which means I will have to take the dogs to doggie daycare. They won’t have a yard for hours.

When they’re done I’ll have to have someone re-sod the area.

The guy that came out was kind of a jerk. I had to let him in the yard so he could mark where the gas line was. We don’t done pay for it; the gas company foots the bill.

Although when the guy saw where the gas meter was he said there might be a charge to move it because it was a code violation. It’s under a kitchen window and he said it had to be three feet from any window. I told him the gas company can pay for that too because they put that new meter there when we bought the house.
Mame

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:03 am
@jcboy,
Yeah, best to talk to City Hall rather than that dude. Do they pay for the re-sodding?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:04 am
@Mame,
If they're anything like our council they'll probably say sod that.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:37 am
@Mame,
Nope we have to pay for the sod. I postponed calling them after seeing what they did to my neighbors yard.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2022 10:43 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yeah, best to talk to City Hall rather than that dude. Do they pay for the re-sodding?

If they were a good company they would. Or at least offer some kind of subsidy.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 11:49 am
The gas company told me they are replacing the lines to eliminate old or corroded gas lines. They’re going to do the whole block!

I’m dreading taking the dogs to the doggie day care. My oldest dog is 12 and a half years old, weighs 105lbs. He moves slow these days and he can’t jump up to get in the jeep so I’ll have to pick him up!
Mame

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 12:15 pm
@jcboy,
I know what you mean - we have an 18 year old Pomeranian who can't do stairs anymore so I have to carry him up and down every time he wants out. At least he only weighs 12 lbs.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2022 01:54 pm
I wonder if they have identified a safety issue that needs to be addressed.
jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 10:00 am
@engineer,
Well they didn’t tear up the yard too bad. I can probably just get some sod and fix it myself. I’m waiting for the next gas bill to see if they charge me for having to move the meter. It still cost me a 150.00 bucks for three dogs in day care for the day!
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 10:34 am
@jcboy,
Over here the term used is turf. Sod has other meanings.
jcboy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 10:39 am
@izzythepush,
I'm used to surf and turf Razz it's seafood and steak over here.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 10:52 am
@jcboy,
It is here too.

A bookmaker is also known as a turf accountant.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2022 01:15 pm
Good that it worked out well.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Gas Company threatened me!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:17:29