The media tell us there are Iraqis rejoicing in the streets.

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:20 pm
...and that many Iraqis are greeting their "liberators" with smiles and cheers.

The media tell us this is because they love us -- and that they are grateful we have come to "free" them from the clutches of Saddam Hussein.

The media tell us this display of affection is real -- and that it vindicates what we are doing over there.

These same Iraqis are the people who just weeks ago were seen on Iraqi television hanging flowers around the neck of statues of Saddam Hussein -- who were shown kissing and hugging pictures of Saddam Hussein.

The media tell us they were doing all that because they were terrified of Saddam Hussein and of his soldiers and henchmen.

I wonder why the media doesn't think the displays of affection -- and the cheers and greetings -- meager as they are -- might not be true affection, but simply fear of a new monster.

The affection is being shown to soldiers often riding on massive tanks with huge cannons poking out the front. The affection is being shown to soldiers in an army that has been bombarding all around them. The affection is being shown to a vastly superior force that has invaded their country.

Any chance the media has simply lost its objectivity?

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,197 • Replies: 5
No top replies

chatoyant

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:25 pm
The media reminds me an awful lot of the Iraqis. They are all being manipulated in some way or other. I don't trust any of them.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:47 pm
the media sells advertizing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:02 pm
These must be different Iraqis from the ones taking pot shots at our troops and helicopters...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 04:53 pm
I heard or read that one woman who waved a welcome to the allies was hung by the Iraqi's. I'm not too sure how to interpret anything we get from the media while this war is on-going. Things will become more clear after this war is kaput. c.i.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:04 pm
Below is an extract from one report. The link will take you to the whole piece.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/2891059.stm

A leader of the local Red Crescent called an attempt to deliver aid to the Iraq-Kuwait border town of Safwan on Wednesday a "disaster", after it was mobbed by fit young men before getting to the people it was aimed at.

But British reporters with UK troops reported successful delivery of some aid on Thursday to the southern town of al-Zubayr, which had been the scene of fierce fighting.

Troops trying to deliver aid there the previous day had fled after a sniper opened fire.

Most of those receiving aid on Thursday professed support for the US and UK - although suspicion on both sides continued, with UK troops saying some of those queuing up for hand-outs had probably been shooting at them just days before.

One man made it clear that coalition troops and their aid were welcome only on Iraqi terms.

"You are here on the condition that you liberate Iraq," said resident Ali Salman Hussein, 35.

"We don't want you to occupy us, we want you to liberate us and leave. If you don't leave then we will hate you."
0 Replies