Need Advice:Business Transactions with Company in China

buldag

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:35 pm
Hi,
I am hoping to get some advice from folks involved in importing.

I am looking into starting a business where I will be importing computer/eletronic peripherals from China and selling to local/national online/B&M retailers. I am in direct contact with the Mnfg who is a distant friend and he has promised a sole-distributorship for his product. I have done some market research and the products seem to be in the introductory stage of their PLC - and hence I am hoping to catch the market growth. Before I get started and invest, I would like some information/advice from some experts:

1) What are some Do's and Dont's for such a overseas relationship?

2) Money should be transacted by LC. Any other advice on that? BoA charges $350 for a LC... thats quite steep! Is there a better/easier way to get this? Since the initial volumes are small, LC for $350 seems quite steep to me. If thats the norm, what else recourse do I have?

3) Should I go for FOB, CFR or DDP? Whats the best approach and why? If its CFR, would somebody recommend a good customs agent? and the procedure for getting customs clearance and getting it forwarded to my address.

4) I have never visited his factory... I plan to do so in the next few months. What should I be aware of until then? (o'course apart from child labor issues

5) Any other words of wisdom to make this transaction meaningful and stressless.

Since this is a starting business, I am not confident I can commit large volumes. We have decided to pursue a "cautious" approach. In the initial stages, we plan to have multiple small transactions of about $7-$9K each. Like any starting business, currently I am the only one involved.

thanks !
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 928 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ai

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:13 am
1) you should find a really reliable company or factory , get a sample before you make the order.
2) You can transact the money by telegraph ,it will cost you like $20,or $30/$10,000
3) FOB will be a good way if you can deal with the freight forwarding company yourself .(P.S I know some custom agents .what country are you from?)
4) actually ,if he 's gonna take you to the factory ,the factory will be ok , you don't need to worry about that.
5) you should find a trading company to check for more imformations
0 Replies

Dannywo

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 03:30 am
Up
0 Replies

JamesF

Reply Wed 19 Oct, 2005 03:59 pm
My advice for the first time, pass on as much of the responsibility as you can to others (agents etc). It wont help you to make money at first, but it will allow you to get into the swing of doing it for your self.
0 Replies