Joe Biden announces his pick for SCOTUS

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 01:44 pm
In an unexpected move, Joe Biden announced that he has selected Anita Hil for the seat to be vacated by retiring Justice Steven Breyer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 444 • Replies: 21
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 02:04 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Where did you hear that? I can't find any news article and the BBC story on the three main contenders for the job doesn't even mention her.

The three are Ketanji Brown Jackson, Leondra Kruger and J Michelle Childs.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 02:09 pm
Is this a joke?

Has it got something to do with Biden and Hill clashing over Clarence Thomas?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 02:25 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Is this a joke?

Has it got something to do with Biden and Hill clashing over Clarence Thomas?

Hey, Izzy. I know I heard it, but I remember that I was taking a nap. Maybe I dreamed it?

Jeez.

It would be an interesting development, though.

Like to be a fly on the wall when the news is broken to Thomas...if it happened.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 02:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I know little of the personalities involved, but when I googled news for Anita Hill the first thing that came up was a Fox News report opinion piece saying Biden should nominate her.

At this rate Biden will nominate a succesor before the Gray report is published .

It was ready yesterday, but the pm is doing his level best to delay the bastard.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 02:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Anita Hill is 65. Even if he wanted her he would not nominate a person that age.
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 03:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why not? Breyer is 83.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 03:25 pm
@Mame,
They want longevity to keep that seat on their side as long as possible.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 04:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, what I've found so far is Jimmy Kimmel said that Joe biden ought to nominate her, and that the Asian press announced it as done deal.

But this ifrom right now on WAPO:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/27/stephen-breyer-supreme-court-retire-live-updates/

Biden vows to nominate Black woman to succeed Breyer on Supreme Court
Latest updates

Civil rights organizations prepare to advocate for Biden’s Supreme Court pick
3:55 p.m.

Schumer says Senate process to confirm Breyer’s successor will move quickly
3:25 p.m.

How long does it take to confirm a Supreme Court justice nominee?
3:23 p.m.

Jackson was once highly praised by former GOP House speaker Paul Ryan
3:05 p.m.

White House defends Biden’s decision to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court
2:40 p.m.

Psaki says Republicans already warning of ‘radical’ unnamed nominee 'just obliterated their own credibility’
2:17 p.m.

Grassley said Biden’s nominee must be within the ‘legal mainstream’
2:03 p.m.

Key update

McConnell says Biden should not be influenced by ‘radical left’ when picking Supreme Court nominee
1:42 p.m.

Sinema says she looks forward to ‘thoughtfully examining’ Biden nominee on three criteria
1:18 p.m.

Manchin says it won’t bother him if the new justice is ‘more liberal’ than he is
1:10 p.m.
Key update

Biden hails Breyer as a ‘model public servant in a time of great division in this country’
12:56 p.m.

Clyburn backs J. Michelle Childs as best option to replace Breyer, says South Carolina senators would agree
12:39 p.m.

President Biden thanked Justice Stephen G. Breyer for his service and announced his intent to nominate the nation’s first Black woman to the Supreme Court. (Blair Guild/The Washington Post)
By John Wagner

Today at 10:50 a.m. EST|Updated today at 3:55 p.m. EST

President Biden vowed Thursday to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court by the end of February, saying “it’s long overdue.” His pledge came during a White House event with Justice Stephen G. Breyer, who told Biden in a letter released Thursday that he plans to retire at the end of the court’s current term, assuming his replacement is nominated and confirmed.

“I’m here today to express the nation’s gratitude to Justice Stephen Breyer for his remarkable career of public service and his clear-eyed commitment to making our country’s laws work for its people,” Biden said of Breyer, 83, who was nominated to the court in 1994 by President Bill Clinton.

Biden promised during the 2020 campaign to select a Black woman for any vacancy and maintained Thursday that he would fulfill that pledge. “I will select a nominee worthy of Justice Breyer’s legacy of excellence and decency,” Biden said.

Here’s what to know

Breyer’s retirement sets up a new election-year challenge as the deadlocked 50-50 Senate faces a Supreme Court confirmation fight focused on some of the most contentious issues in the nation’s cultural divide.
Breyer’s retirement abruptly puts a spotlight on a small circle of Black female jurists who are positioned to be chosen as Biden’s first pick to the Supreme Court.
In nearly three decades on the Supreme Court, Breyer routinely found himself on the losing side of contentious issues but managed to cultivate collegiality as a centrist problem-solver.
How a Supreme Court nominee becomes a justice: A potential justice nominated by the president must win confirmation in a divided Senate.
Mame

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 04:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ah... makes sense
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 Jan, 2022 07:02 pm
The one that gets confirmed will have to pass the Manchin litmus test. So don't get too excited.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 07:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Manchin Open to Liberal-Leaning Justice, a Key Signal for Biden
Source: Bloomberg

- Qualifications more important than ideology, Democrat says

- Democrats can confirm nominee if party maintains unity

Democratic Senator Joe Manchin said Thursday he could vote to confirm a Supreme Court nominee with a more liberal philosophy than his own, a positive signal for President Joe Biden as he prepares to name a successor to retiring Justice Stephen Breyer.

The nominee’s philosophical beliefs “will not prohibit me from supporting somebody,” he said in an interview in his home state of West Virginia.

Read more: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-27/manchin-says-he-could-back-justice-with-more-liberal-philosophy
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 07:34 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Frank, what I've found so far is Jimmy Kimmel said that Joe biden ought to nominate her, and that the Asian press announced it as done deal.

But this ifrom right now on WAPO:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/27/stephen-breyer-supreme-court-retire-live-updates/

Biden vows to nominate Black woman to succeed Breyer on Supreme Court
Latest updates

Civil rights organizations prepare to advocate for Biden’s Supreme Court pick
3:55 p.m.

Schumer says Senate process to confirm Breyer’s successor will move quickly
3:25 p.m.

How long does it take to confirm a Supreme Court justice nominee?
3:23 p.m.

Jackson was once highly praised by former GOP House speaker Paul Ryan
3:05 p.m.

White House defends Biden’s decision to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court
2:40 p.m.

Psaki says Republicans already warning of ‘radical’ unnamed nominee 'just obliterated their own credibility’
2:17 p.m.

Grassley said Biden’s nominee must be within the ‘legal mainstream’
2:03 p.m.

Key update

McConnell says Biden should not be influenced by ‘radical left’ when picking Supreme Court nominee
1:42 p.m.

Sinema says she looks forward to ‘thoughtfully examining’ Biden nominee on three criteria
1:18 p.m.

Manchin says it won’t bother him if the new justice is ‘more liberal’ than he is
1:10 p.m.
Key update

Biden hails Breyer as a ‘model public servant in a time of great division in this country’
12:56 p.m.

Clyburn backs J. Michelle Childs as best option to replace Breyer, says South Carolina senators would agree
12:39 p.m.

President Biden thanked Justice Stephen G. Breyer for his service and announced his intent to nominate the nation’s first Black woman to the Supreme Court. (Blair Guild/The Washington Post)
By John Wagner

Today at 10:50 a.m. EST|Updated today at 3:55 p.m. EST

President Biden vowed Thursday to nominate a Black woman to the Supreme Court by the end of February, saying “it’s long overdue.” His pledge came during a White House event with Justice Stephen G. Breyer, who told Biden in a letter released Thursday that he plans to retire at the end of the court’s current term, assuming his replacement is nominated and confirmed.

“I’m here today to express the nation’s gratitude to Justice Stephen Breyer for his remarkable career of public service and his clear-eyed commitment to making our country’s laws work for its people,” Biden said of Breyer, 83, who was nominated to the court in 1994 by President Bill Clinton.

Biden promised during the 2020 campaign to select a Black woman for any vacancy and maintained Thursday that he would fulfill that pledge. “I will select a nominee worthy of Justice Breyer’s legacy of excellence and decency,” Biden said.

Here’s what to know

Breyer’s retirement sets up a new election-year challenge as the deadlocked 50-50 Senate faces a Supreme Court confirmation fight focused on some of the most contentious issues in the nation’s cultural divide.
Breyer’s retirement abruptly puts a spotlight on a small circle of Black female jurists who are positioned to be chosen as Biden’s first pick to the Supreme Court.
In nearly three decades on the Supreme Court, Breyer routinely found himself on the losing side of contentious issues but managed to cultivate collegiality as a centrist problem-solver.
How a Supreme Court nominee becomes a justice: A potential justice nominated by the president must win confirmation in a divided Senate.

It was a joke. My sister suggested it as a joke...and I told her I would run with it.

Just kiddin'!

I want him to choose someone young...and I expect he will do that. The three candidates he seems focused on appear to be excellent candidates.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 07:35 am
I was just screwing around folks.

Didn't think anyone would take it seriously...and I suspect none of you did.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 07:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
I did at first, because I know very little about the personalities involved in American politics.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 08:08 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Any mention of the other? Senema?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 08:10 am
I knew you were funning us, Frank. But it's important enough to address the real situation wherever it pops up.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 09:38 am
@edgarblythe,
She's echoing Manchin.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 09:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
So it's up to Biden to decide. I will say no more for now.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 28 Jan, 2022 09:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
I remember how Joe beat her up at Thomas's hearings.

I think she'd make a good justice. But she a lightening rod for idiots.

1. Forums
  2. » Joe Biden announces his pick for SCOTUS
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:12:02