College Overrated

nycdad

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 06:39 pm
Hi everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

They say college is overrated. I never accepted this statement as true while going to school back in the 1990s. A few years after graduation, the truth hit me like a ton of bricks.

I have a math degree. This means a B.A. in Mathematics from Lehman College. What is my job classification? Security guard, specifically PATROL GUARD.

So, I went to Lehman to take rigorous math courses beginning with MA175 aka Calculus 1 and 11 math courses later I found myself in Algebraic Topology with at least 15 students. Not too many students in a Topology course, if you know what I mean.

I studied my behind in that course and only got a B minus. It is insane mathematics!! All of this to end up patrolling floors. At the same time, most of my supervisors never set foot inside a college campus and they boss me around. Think about that. College is a band of goons collecting millions of dollars promising a bright tomorrow, a tomorrow that never comes. You say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 504 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2022 07:35 pm
@nycdad,
Maybe because you had a Sociology degree in last post about college being overrated.

If you got that math degree it is likely you would realize the importance of putting money even a very small amount in a 401k when you first started working.
nycdad

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 12:53 pm
@Linkat,
In terms of my college degree, it was a typo. I actually have a math degree not a sociology degree. Typo here.
Linkat

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 01:12 pm
@nycdad,
Then why did you explain in such detail on this thread how helpful a sociology degree is after getting a masters here

https://able2know.org/topic/564620-1
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 01:29 pm
@nycdad,
Don't talk rot. The only typo is maths.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 01:32 pm
@izzythepush,

no way it was a typo...

. https://iili.io/lkvS8x.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 01:57 pm
@Region Philbis,
I know, it amazes me the bollocks people think they can get away with.

If the OP has a degree it would make him an educated idiot.

I always find it best to be honest, it's so much bloody easier than trying to keep track of what you've told to whom.

Although in this case is a total balls up from the start.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 01:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
What about maths, that a typo?

Sorry, you can tell me to eff off if you want.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 04:55 pm
I think this is another of nono's sockpuppets, the bogus story and big downthumbing are a giveaway.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 05:32 pm
@nycdad,
Got to say, I agree with a lot of that - college was not for me (16hrs short of a Bachelors in mass communication and technical writting), but the Drafting school gave me a great start. I've been back to collage for specific courses in mechanical design, but the books, specifically Marks Mechanical Engineers Handbook, were the most educationan and starting as a draftsman in a good shop.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 29 Jan, 2022 05:40 pm
@izzythepush,
I believe you may be right. I've seen all sorts of nonono-ish posting this time back.
0 Replies

nycdad

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2022 09:39 am
@bobsal u1553115,
A successful career these days is an illusion.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 27 Feb, 2022 10:13 am
One view of an education is for self-improvement and not merely as a licence to work. If it's merely a license to work, then that would justify cheating, an act that the former president indulged in.
0 Replies

fobvius

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2022 04:22 am
@nycdad,
I'm just glad that your degree in mathematics didn't require knowledge of any of the many junior high maths questions you asked previously on this forum.

0 Replies