Is College Overrated?

nycdad

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 05:12 am
I have a Sociology B.A from Lehman College (1994). Sociology is useful in terms of employment AFTER graduate school. A four-year degree in this field is good enough for an entry-level position but that's about it. After earning my B.A., I lost interest in the field. So, it made no sense at the time to continue with sociology into graduate school.

I have been working as a security guard with two CUNY degrees and a third degree in Religious Education for more than 15 years. To me, college is overrated big time. I feel like I wasted my time, my youth and my money attending CUNY from 1986 to 1994, not to mention the correspondence Bible school.

Sociology did nothing for me, honestly. Basically, a college degree means to start and complete academic training. The degree itself DOES NOT impress an employer nor does it guarantee employment after the campus years. My sociology degree has been collecting dust in the closet since 1994, honestly.

So, is college overrated? You say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 269 • Replies: 1
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2021 07:20 pm
There are a lot of job openings that do not require the training of a college degree, but are still offered only to people who have attained a four year degree.

Also, if your career interest is security, your sociology degree might count for something if you ever decide to become a police officer.
0 Replies