correct usage

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:18 pm
The 34-year-old defending champion and first seed had been scheduled to play in the evening of the first day. If he had retained the title he would become the first men's tennis player in history to win 21 Grand Slams.

1. Should it be "first male tennis player" or "first man's tennis player" instead

2. Is "to win 31 Grand Slams" correct?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 264 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 07:40 pm
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

The 34-year-old defending champion and first seed had been scheduled to play in the evening of the first day. If he had retained the title he would become the first men's tennis player in history to win 21 Grand Slams.

1. Should it be "first male tennis player" or "first man's tennis player" instead

Thanks.

Hmm, good question, taguatlay. I would use either first male tennis player or first men's tennis player, but "man's" is completely incorrect.

And yes, 2. is correct.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 05:42 am
@tanguatlay,
"Men's tennis player" is fine. The game is often call denoted that way – men's tennis and women's tennis.

I think "to win thirty-one Grand Slams" would be preferable (according to the Chicago Manual of Style) although both are correct. I'm not sure what the convention is in British English.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2022 05:57 am
@tanguatlay,
tanguatlay wrote:

If he had retained the title he would become the first men's tennis player in history to win 21 Grand Slams.

No it's incorrect.

31 is ten more than 21.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » correct usage
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 11:20:57