Youth Division

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 04:42 am
Youth Division
Youth's Division

Are both correct? If one of them is wrong, what is the reason?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 302 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 08:51 am
@tanguatlay,
What context are you talking about here? What is a youth division?
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 09:24 am
@Mame,
The members of our temple are classified as follows:
The children are grouped under Children's Division, the adults, under Men's Division and Women's Division.
The youths are under the Youth group.

My question is how should the group of youths be called?

Youth Division, Youth's Division or Youths' Division.
engineer

Reply Sun 9 Jan, 2022 10:00 am
@tanguatlay,
Both Youths' Division and Youth Division are correct. In the first, Youths is a plural noun, in the second it is an adjective. Given how your other groups are named, I would go for Youths' Division to be consistent.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 12:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Both Youths' Division and Youth Division are correct. In the first, Youths is a plural noun, in the second it is an adjective. Given how your other groups are named, I would go for Youths' Division to be consistent.

I was taught that it should be "Youth Division". Does it mean that I was taught wrongly?
hightor

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2022 05:01 am
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Does it mean that I was taught wrongly?

No; it's not wrong. As engineer pointed out, consistency with the other names might suggest 'Youths' Division'. Personally, however, I prefer Youth Division. There's no difficulty with apostrophe placement, for one thing. And making the plural noun possessive ends up with a difficult cluster of consonants to pronounce: the -ths' combined with the d is hard to enunciate.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Youth Division
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:45:00