Let's just make everything convenient for him!

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 10:15 am
@Barry2021,
You know he doesn't have an appt on Monday.
Barry2021

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 01:34 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I know he doesn't. Again, he could go get the shot today at any local pharmacy or drug store. Hell, even Walmart is giving out the shot. Come Mon I'm going to ask for a vaccination card.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 01:41 pm
@Barry2021,
I know this is a different country but I took my family to get boosted today. I got jabbed in November.

They all had appointments and everything went smoothly, (for them.)

When my eldest came out he told me the staff were really pissed off because a coach had just turned up from one of the cruise ships, no appointments, not even a phone call.

They will all get a jab regardless.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2022 02:44 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:

Mame wrote:

I know he doesn't. Again, he could go get the shot today at any local pharmacy or drug store. Hell, even Walmart is giving out the shot. Come Mon I'm going to ask for a vaccination card.

You'd better start asking him where he's going to live Smile
Barry2021

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 07:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Barry2021 wrote:

Mame wrote:

You'd better start asking him where he's going to live Smile

Let me tell you what happened yesterday.

Well, when he first had to move back home one thing I stressed to him and his mom was that I wanted no weed smell in our house. Since then I noticed that his mom has allowed him to keep some of his things in the girl's room which I quickly reminded her to get them out of their room. Clothes in their dresser drawer and his shoes lined up right under the crib where the new grandbaby sleeps. I've even had to remind him on several occasions about the smell of weed when he comes home. Well yesterday I was sitting at my desk in our bedroom working and my wife had gone to get her hair done. He walks in with his girlfriend and goes to the bathroom. A few minutes later he comes out of the bathroom and I hear them in the living room talking. All of a sudden a very strong smell of weed hits me in our bedroom. Granted my step-son didn't even come into our bedroom. I get up from my desk and walk into the living room and ask them had they been smoking weed. He turns to me and says "yeah". I then told both of them to "get the f--- out of my house and don't ever come back here smelling like weed!" I reminded him that I told him from the start to not have that smell in my house and if he thought I was joking to try me again. The girlfriend goes out the house giggling. I immediately call my wife and tell her she needed to talk to her son. My wife comes home and she's now upset with me because she said I didn't need to speak to him the way I did, especially in front of his girlfriend. I could have handled it in a much better way. I looked at her and told her that in my house I make the rules and I can speak to him anyway I so pleases. I've already reminded him of what was expected and he constantly keep thumbing his nose up to me like he has rights in this house. A few minutes later he walks in, since he's gotta be home by 7 PM. He goes to his room and starts grabbing his stuff in bags and boxes. I sat silently while he made several trips to his room bringing stuff into the living room and sitting it by the front door. He then starts to take the stuff outside. I ask the wife where he's going and then he comes back and grabs a blanket. She said he was just going to sleep in the car. Ok, fine with me. If he wants to sleep in a car all night where the temp drops to around 30 degrees then let him. No skin off my back. So now the wife is mad at me because I spoke to him the way I did earlier. I literally had to go through the entire house and spray down every room with air freshener to kill the smell of weed.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:07 am
@Barry2021,
I don't blame you. The rules were st he broke them he must suffer the repercussions.
Mame

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:13 am
@Linkat,
I don't blame you, either. Your house, your rules.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:18 am
@Mame,
I do, I blame Linkat for everything.

The whole tamale, him smoking weed and getting a restraining order off his girlfriend.

It has Linkat's fingerprints all over it.

Hope this helps.
Linkat

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:23 am
@izzythepush,
Mansplainer!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 11:37 am
@Linkat,
Don't worry your pretty little head about it.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 12:21 pm
@Barry2021,
I'm sure you are well aware that the center cannot hold with this mishigas.

To keep the peace, one thing you can do (and I just know you'll come up with some argument about why this is impossible - well, sit down and listen for a moment, please) -

Put together a written agreement. You probably don't need a lawyer for this, so long as it's extremely clearly written. But I would suggest getting it notarized. You can get online notarization in most states (just Google it). Very easy, not too expensive.

The agreement should say something along the lines of:
Quote:
1) You are loaning (make it exquisitely clear that this is a loan) him $1000 to find another place.

2) His deadline to find another place is 60 days from the date of the agreement (if you think he would need more time, then give him 90 days, but I wouldn't go any longer than that, and I wouldn't go any shorter than 60).

3) If he finds another place, he has 30 days to move out, which includes but is not limited to him taking all his stuff.

4) If he fails to find a place, then the loan is due in full, immediately.

5) If he doesn't move out 30 days after finding a place, then the loan is due in full, immediately.

6) He also must live in a new place for at least a year, starting from the date he moves in. If he tries to come back before 365 days are up, then the loan is due in full, immediately. This includes if he lives in more than one place during that 365-day period. The time frame does not change, even if he moves from place to place.

7) The other place can be anywhere, so long as it is not your home. You agree to offer no opinions on the suitability of his living conditions unless asked.

8) If he asks for help in finding a place, you agree to offer it freely and without judgment or conditions. If he does not ask for help, then you will stay out of it.

9) This loan is a one-time payment and there will not be another one.

10) If he ends up in jail during any of the time covered by the agreement, the clock will stop until he is out of jail, which is when it will start up again and not go back to zero. He will not get a do-over if he goes back to jail.

11) If he ends up homeless, then you will reassess the agreement. That is the only circumstance under which you will reassess the agreement.

{then a place for your signature, your wife's, your stepson's, and a notary stamp}

If the area requires more $ for security and first and last months' rent, then the $ figure may need to be higher (where I live, it would likely have to be about $3000 to be effective). If it takes longer to find a place in your area (not due to laziness, but due to a tough market), then consider increasing the time frames but don't go nuts because you want this to come to an end.

Write off the "loan". It's really a gift. Don't expect it to ever come back.

Don't concern yourself if he spends it on hookers or weed or a wardrobe for his girlfriend or whatever. You gave him the $. If he doesn't use it to get a new place, then he can suffer the consequences thereof. This also means, if he finds a cheaper place, he can use some of your donation to buy groceries or furniture or whatever.

If he ends up back in jail during the time frame, it's probably most reasonable to let the clock stop until he's out of jail, even if that happens in 40 years.

If the "loan" comes immediately due, also assume it's a total loss and you will never actually be paid back.

HOWEVER,

There is a reason why I am suggesting that you toss a grand or so in the same manner as if you were to set it on fire.

You are making it very clear in the household that you're the good guy here. You're helping him to get on his feet and if he spits in your eye because of that, your hands are clean.

If he has any sense of responsibility or pride, he should jump at the chance, even if he just ends up moving back in with his girlfriend. So what if he does? Not your issue, not your concern.

This also has the potential to finally get your wife on board. You've tried being a rigid hardass to the guy, and your wife hasn't been on board with that. This is very nearly the opposite. It will be a lot harder for her to feel there's an injustice being done to her precious darling if, well, you're being a stand-up guy and helping the stepson out.

Having a united front is important. Isn't it worth $1000 to get it?

Besides, he may actually get out of your hair with this.

(Disclaimer: I am a lawyer but I am not your lawyer. If you draft an agreement and want a lawyer to review it, please contact a person admitted to the bar in your jurisdiction who has familiarity with contract law).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 12:28 pm
@Barry2021,
Barry2021 wrote:

But since his release from jail he's had to wear an ankle monitoring device which means he's gotta live with us for the purpose of the courts.
Quote:

Jespah, I think this is part of the problem. I say he should eat and sleep in the car and go to his g/f's for showers. The guy sounds like Barry's brother.
0 Replies

Barry2021

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2022 04:38 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I don't blame you, either. Your house, your rules.

My wife has this notion that since he's here he has rights too. No you don't. You want to do what you want then get your own place. When someone is allowing you to crash for a little while then you follow their rules. She kills me with that "I shouldn't talk to him the way I did."
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 01:07:53