Text amendment

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 10:51 am
Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical watches and clocks, including even quartz watches and clocks.

Does "including even quartz watches and clocks" correct? Or should it be "as well as quartz watches and clocks"?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 404 • Replies: 13
No top replies

hightor

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 11:31 am
@tanguatlay,
The sentence is okay, although I prefer "even including" to "including even"

1. Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical watches and clocks, even including quartz watches and clocks.

You can even leave "even" out completely:

2.Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical watches and clocks, including quartz watches and clocks.

"Including" and "as well as" are close enough in function to be interchangeable.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2022 04:18 pm
Thanks, hightor.
0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2022 08:39 pm
@tanguatlay,
The sentence is complete drivel containing several errors of fact including the grammatical faux pas of using 'watches and clocks' three times in the one sentence.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/gadgets-object/difference-between-quartz-and-chronometer/
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 04:56 am
@Miss L Toad,
Miss L Toad wrote:

The sentence is complete drivel containing several errors of fact including the grammatical faux pas of using 'watches and clocks' three times in the one sentence.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/gadgets-object/difference-between-quartz-and-chronometer/

Could you please show me how the sentence can be improved? Thanks.
hightor

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 05:19 am
@tanguatlay,
This is the sentence as copied from the link provided above:
Quote:
Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical watches and clocks, including even quartz watches and clocks.

It's not "drivel"; it's perfectly understandable. Can the same idea be expressed differently? Sure. For instance:

Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical watches and clocks, including those which are regulated by quartz crystals.

Or:

Chronometer watches and clocks are considered to be more accurate than the other mechanical timepieces, including those which are regulated by quartz crystals.

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 07:55 am
Thanks, hightor.

I agree with you that there is nothing drivel about the text.
Mame

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 12:15 pm
@tanguatlay,
I agree, also, that it's not drivel. And I agree with hightor's first comment about omitting the word 'even'. It's a mouthful of a sentence, to be sure.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 01:04 pm
@Mame,
Certain posters don't want to help, they just want to appear superior.

I think this particular poster is questioning the facts but that is not relevant, this is a question about English, not clocks.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 01:08 pm
@Mame,
I mark GCSE examinations. I'm not allowed to tell people which is why this is not on a thread.

I mark comprehension papers and Miss L Toe reminds me of a certain type of candidate who thinks they know more about something than the writer of the source used.

Basically they get very low marks, because instead of answering the question about method and techniques used they attack the facts which is not what they were askedto do.

0 Replies

Miss L Toad

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2022 07:17 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
It's not "drivel"; it's perfectly understandable.

If you were to read the link then you would understand why the sentence is a horological horror, a nonsense of untimely happenstance.

Ha ha ha.

0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 09:22 am
@tanguatlay,
Chronometers are considered more accurate than even quartz timepieces.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 10:58 am
@Glennn,
Glennn wrote:
Chronometers are considered more accurate than even quartz timepieces.
Modern chronometers can be based on quartz clocks that are corrected periodically by satellite time signals or radio time signals ... besides those still working mechanically like more than 200 years ago.
Glennn

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2022 11:27 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The thread concerns grammar, and not the accuracy of the statement.

However, that was interesting.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Text amendment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 08:11:24