Selling used baby clothes and toys on Ebay

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
I am looking at tons of stuff for babies on ebay .
Some of the things go for good prices and some dont.
I have alot of used baby clothes that , even at a garage sale, I dont get rid of.
Does anyone sell on ebay?
How do you do it?
What is your experience?
Is it worth it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,172 • Replies: 10
No top replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:21 am
Can be worthwhile. Depends on the quality and condition of the clothing.

I would suggest a grouping, rather than individual pieces. Put together two or three outfits, rather than trying to sell 4-5 pieces individually.

You can add a little extra to postage and handling without scaring too many people off, but don't go hog wild. An extra $1.50 - $2.50 over actual shipping cost should cover your time, effort and cost of mailing envelope. Don't claim it's for Ebay fees.

Start selling Fall/ Winter clothes now. Wouldn't bother with summer outfits since few will know what size their baby will be next summer, unless you do a large lot and someone from the southeast / warmer climate finds them. We tend to be in summer clothes well into November around here.

This is a huge section on Ebay. Lots of sellers and shoppers in this category. Watch for a few days and see what is selling, when it is selling best, and for what prices. Compare starting bids and final bids to see if there is enough traffic to get more bids for what you offer.

My guess, from when I sold some baby CD's, is that mid afternoon (nap time) is a good time to end an auction. I would avoid Mondays since many are recovering from weekend outings, but again your research should tell you if Monday is a hot selling day.

Hope this helps.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:26 am
wow.
great points!

I didnt even think about the naptime shoppers.

hehe.. thats ME! and that is a huge crowd I bet.

Ebay fees? hm.. i will have to look that up. I didnt realise there were fees for ebay. I thought you just paid a small 'account' price and went on your way..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:33 am
Check the brands. Some brands will re-sell well, some won't.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:52 am
Speaking of ebay...I just bid on something I thought was something else....I already have what I bid on and guess what? The one freaking time I actually win on a low bid. By 1 cent. **sigh** I hope the seller is nice and will let me out of payment and sell to the second highest bidder.
0 Replies

Bodo

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 09:54 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Speaking of ebay...I just bid on something I thought was something else....I already have what I bid on and guess what? The one freaking time I actually win on a low bid. By 1 cent. **sigh** I hope the seller is nice and will let me out of payment and sell to the second highest bidder.

Argh! That's frustrating!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:04 am
Yes, and stupid on my part...I should have looked closer but the items are very very similar in appearance and the price should have tipped me off...I am hoping, hoping.......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:05 am
DrewDad wrote:

what do you mean by that?
recalls? or popularity?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:12 am
shewolfnm wrote:
DrewDad wrote:

what do you mean by that?
recalls? or popularity?

I just meant check the brand names on what's selling. Mrs. Drew has seen patterns in what will re-sell well.

It can even be that some lines of some brands sell well, while others do not.

Of course, I can't even pick a matching outfit out of the closet, so I have no idea what lines might sell.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
Popularity and known quality. Ie. Osh Kosh or Gymboree sells better than off brand or lesser quality brand.

Bella, it's not always a matter of a seller being "nice." You wouldn't believe the excuses sellers hear, and they may still have to pay fees if you don't pay. Listing fees can add up. If it is a second listing already, they may not recover their fees. It was your mistake, so you might at least offer to pay their fees so they can relist if the second bidder doesn't take it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
hmm.. true.
Graco brand is everywhere, cheap and abundant .
most people wont touch it because every 2 years they have to recall over 1/2 thier product line because it poses a danger.
Yet our peg-perego stroller gets us resale offers even when we are in a store USING it .
Mr Wolf and I have invested in baby items that are a bit above normal prices.
In the last year we have learned that , that isnt a necessity. Laughing Cuz' now WE BROKE!
I will do a good check on each product line we have and see if they were recalled, lost thier placement on consumer satisfaction reports etc.
I can use that research in my listing info as well.
these are great ideas thanks everyone!
0 Replies