Am I currently employing altogether?

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:05 pm
Hello! I am wondering if I am currently using altogether in a correct context.

1. I think you should abandon her altogether, and start fresh with a new girlfriend.

2. I will just refrain from using this sharp knife because I always cut myself.

3. I prefer to do something altogether.. for example if I wish the dishes, I like to wash them all and leave nothing uncleaned.

Thank you guys.

Mame

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:12 pm
@FirasAus,
1. I think you should abandon her altogether, and start fresh with a new girlfriend. Correctly used.

2. I will just refrain from using this sharp knife because I always cut myself. Always is correctly used.

3. I prefer to do something altogether.. for example if I wish the dishes, I like to wash them all and leave nothing uncleaned. No - in this case, you would use "all together"
FirasAus

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:20 pm
@Mame,
I am sorry. I forgot to add altogether in the 2nd sentence
Ì will refrain from using sharp knife altogether because I always cut myself.

I also meant in the 3rd sentence that If I do something, I do it completely not partially.. like "I prefer to do something completely rather than partially doing it and leave it uncompleted."

So would altogether be suitable in that case? "I prefer to do something altogether.. for example If do the dishes .........."
Mame

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:27 pm
@FirasAus,
Sentence 2 is correct.

3rd sentence - all together - they have different meanings.

Altogether vs. All Together

GRAMMAR
Altogether means “completely,” “all things considered,” or “on the whole.”
All together means “everyone together” or “everything together.”
It’s often said that the whole isn’t necessarily the sum of its parts. That maxim applies when you turn “every day” into “everyday,” and it’s the same when you turn all together into altogether—you get something completely different.

The Difference Between All Together and Altogether

All together refers to all the members of a group. It can mean “everyone or everything together,” or simply “in a group”:

We went all together to the party.

It’s not uncommon to see a noun or a verb between the elements of the phrase:

They put all the tickets together in a wallet.
FirasAus

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:30 pm
@Mame,
Thank you a lot!
Mame

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2021 03:36 pm
@FirasAus,
You are more than welcome.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Am I currently employing altogether?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 02:58:46