Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 11:09 pm
"Supply chain issues have plagued the United States for months, causing scarcities of everything from cars to running shoes. In Alaska, residents are struggling to acquire winter coats."

[Wouldn't you think they'd already have a coat if they lived in Alaska?]

This story is actually about a cream cheese shortage:

“If we cannot find cream cheese, I worry now, what are we going to do?” Mr. Patta said.

Several customers at Absolute Bagels on Friday said that if cream cheese were not available, they would be less likely to order a bagel at all.
Some bagel shop owners are taking their cream cheese scavenging across state lines. On Friday afternoon, Frank Mattera, an owner of Bagelsmith in Brooklyn’s Williamsburg neighborhood, said he planned to drive to New Jersey to pick up 2,000 pounds of cream cheese himself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/04/nyregion/cream-cheese-shortage-nyc-bagels.html

What is the world coming to?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 309 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2021 07:14 am
@Mame,
That’s why it took me over three months to buy that rechargeable edger, nobody had them in stock. Oh and restaurants, most in our area have cut their menus down because either they can’t get some of the product or it’s now too expensive and they wouldn’t make any money off the sale.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:12 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

"Supply chain issues have plagued the United States for months, causing scarcities of everything from cars to running shoes. In Alaska, residents are struggling to acquire winter coats."

[Wouldn't you think they'd already have a coat if they lived in Alaska?]

I suspect some people already have a winter coat in their possession but still do like and/or need newer ones (especially if the old version is ratty and/doesn't fit anymore).

I for instance just started wearing my favorite black, long winter coat a couple of weeks ago. But dawd damn! The moths that recently destroyed my suit pants this past many months have also did some (less noticeable) damage to my wonderful designer coat (purchased from a NYC thrift/charity store). Thankfully the holes aren't obvious but it still stings.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
Have you ever been to Alaska, tsar? I've been to the Yukon, NWT, and Nunavut. Believe me, you can't survive without a parka. Everyone has at least one, and several -40 deg boots. I just thought that was odd. There are thrift stores up there, too Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:28 pm
@Mame,
I never been to Alaska (though one day I would get a chance to venture up there). Just lamenting my ailing winter jacket. It's going to be awhile before I get enough money to buy another as I only recently started a new job last week. And priorities ... of course.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
There are dry cleaners who specialize in these types of repairs... call around... it's a pretty easy fix.

Hey, what's your new job? Is one of your priorities my Christmas present?! ho ho!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:39 pm
@Mame,
Thanks. It's a shame I already threw away my suit pants. But I'll look into getting my winter coat patched up.

I'm working at another law firm as a temp file clerk.

As for your Xmas present? I tried to send it via wormhole but ended accidentally sending it to the AKA M31, a supermassive black hole at the center of the Andromeda Galaxy. I should have insured the package.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 02:48 pm
@tsarstepan,
Dammit - that means I'll never get it. Some rogue satellite porch pirates probably already have it on Space Kijiji. What prompted your job move?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 03:10 pm
@Mame,
Unemployment due to COVID layoff.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 03:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wow, crap. Sorry to hear that and happy to hear you got something. Will your previous employer be hiring you back?
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 03:25 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Wow, crap. Sorry to hear that and happy to hear you got something. Will your previous employer be hiring you back?

Don't know. I keep looking at my Magic 8-Ball and only keep getting the following replies.
● Reply hazy, try again.
● Ask again later.
● Better not tell you now.
● Cannot predict now.
● Concentrate and ask again.
Mame

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 03:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
Get a new one!
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2021 03:32 pm
@Mame,
I wonder how the global supply chain shortage has hit the Magic 8-Ball industry. Devastated I bet.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wait - what?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:01:06