The path to authoritarianism

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 07:12 am
"The first thing to understand about Mr. Trump is that he does inhabit a completely different mental world, and he inhabits it naturally... he lives in a world of fiction. Mr. Trump is not a traditional person who has made his career where he has to deal with the world around him. He's never actually been that successful in grappling with any particular sense of reality. He's been successful playing a character on television. He understands not the rules of reality but the rules of fiction. For him there is no such thing as lying because there's no such thinga as the truth. We're all in this story together. So the ways in which he's able to bring us into the world are first just saying things that aren't true. A typical politician will lie now and then, but a typical politician will realize the principle that there is truth so when caught in a lie he might apologize, but with mr. Trump that never happens because he intentionally wants to fill up the whole space with untruth until we are confused. The second stage is once we get there, once he changes the office of the presidency so there's no longer talking about the world but creating the story, then he says distrust everyone else, there's nothing that's really true, there's just my opinion and your opinion, and since I'm the president and I have the media behind me, in the end it's only going to be my opinion that matters. Once we get to that point where everybody doubts everything and it's only the person that has the most media and the biggest Twitter account it's hard to have anything that's like a democracy."

https://youtu.be/qZ-bifYqK_Q

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 07:59 am
@coluber2001,
To me, Trump is simply a thoroughly disgusting person. I think anyone who continues to support him is beneath contempt. Unfortunately, that conflicts with the love I have for friends and relatives that do "continue to support him."

Oh, well...one has to live with the contradictions one finds during his/her trip through life.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 08:49 am
@coluber2001,
Trump was an aberration. He is no longer president. He will fade away into history.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 08:55 am
@maxdancona,

that's what i used to think.

but let's face it -- if he decides to run again, he has a good chance of winning...

R(i shudder to think)P
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 09:07 am
@Region Philbis,
No. Trump's chance of winning again are zero.

He is a con man who sold an air of invincibility. He said he would never lose. Then he lost. End of story. The hardliners will say he was cheated, but he still lost. The illusion has been popped. He can't win again.

Sure, I will put money on it.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 09:34 am
Trump may run again or he may not, but he still has great influence on the Republican Party. The Republican politicians live in fear of his disapproval, which may endanger their re-election chances. Trump has the loyalty of a large segment of the voting public
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 09:48 am
I don't see Biden or Harris as strong candidates in '24. The GOP doesn't have to do a lot to win if the Democrats put up weak candidates.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 11:31 am
I didn't say the GOP wouldn't win. I said Trump wouldn't win. You will see that by 2024, the GOP will have mostly gotten over Trump. They will pay lip service, but the party will move on. Whether the Democrats will have gotten over Trump by this time is another question.

Trump ran against the fact that the political left is crazy. That is how he won and the only clear message that he has ever given. Yes, in two elections Trump (who is unquestionably nuts) got up and said "those leftists are crazy" and each time almost half of Americans sided with Trump.

All the Democrats have to do to win is to be seen as less insanely extreme than the political right. With "Defund the Police" and "Critical Race Theory" and tantrums over Harry potter, whether they will be able to do this is an open question.

I predict we will see Republicans controlling the White House and both houses of Congress after the 2024 election. But, Trump will be sidelined politically. I do think that the far left and the far right will both remain obsessed with Trump, but that he will have no real influence on politics.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2021 09:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Just like he promised COVID would go away?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 01:17 pm
House Passes $778 Billion Military Bill as Other Priorities Stall
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The path to authoritarianism
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 08:19:54