Is it ethical to give transplants to unvaccinated?

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 07:49 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Although I don't disagree completely with this ...are we going to start charging people who smoke, who don't take other medicine prescribed for them, if you get in an accident and you are not wearing your seatbelt?

snood

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 07:56 am
@Linkat,
Just thought the proposal was on topic, that’s all. Obviously no one has the perfect answer for why and how and when to treat the unvaccinated.
Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 08:02 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Just thought the proposal was on topic, that’s all. Obviously no one has the perfect answer for why and how and when to treat the unvaccinated.

It is something to mull over .... I worry about big brother overreaching...maybe I am just paronoid.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2021 08:16 am
@Linkat,
Why shouldn't there be a tax on tobacco for cancer treatment/studies?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2021 02:21 pm
@snood,
How Singapore deals with unvaccinated Covid patients who end up in the hospital
No government-paid hospitalization for you!

SINGAPORE - From Wednesday (Dec 8), those who are unvaccinated "by choice" against Covid-19 and become infected will have to pay for their own treatment. We answer some questions you may have on this topic.

Q: Does the rule apply to those who are already hospitalised before Dec 8?

A: This will apply to all unvaccinated Covid-19 patients admitted on or after Dec 8, 2021, to hospitals and Covid-19 treatment facilities. The Covid-19 medical bills for those who are ineligible for vaccination, such as children under 12 years old or those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons, will still be fully paid for by the Government.

(snip)

Q: What is the bill size like?

A: The bill size depends on the severity of your condition and where the care is rendered. The Ministry of Health (MOH) has said that Covid-19 patients who are unvaccinated by choice and end up in the intensive care unit (ICU) could be looking at a bill of around $25,000 before subsidies. The $25,000 is the median acute hospital bill size for those who require both ICU care and Covid-19 therapeutics, which can be pricey.

Q: Why is the Government making me pay for my Covid-19 medical bill?

A: When MOH made the announcement, it said that unvaccinated persons make up a sizeable majority of those who require intensive inpatient care, and they disproportionately contribute to the strain on the nation's healthcare resources.

Q: It's my choice to not get vaccinated. Why should I be penalised for this?

A: In the midst of a pandemic that has killed so many people, choosing to not be vaccinated against Covid-19 when there are safe and effective vaccines available has major implications for the health of others, especially vulnerable people who may not be able to get the vaccine themselves, according to an Oct 18 article published on the website of Gavi, the vaccine alliance that is co-leading the Covax initiative pushing for equitable access to Covid-19 vaccines.

"Thus, there is an argument from a human rights perspective for the freedom from harm caused by others, an equivalent argument for why it is illegal to drink and drive," it said.

The concept of doing something for the collective good breaks down if people start to make decisions based only on their individual beliefs, it said.

Globally, more than five million people infected with Covid-19 have died, including 771 in Singapore.

Link

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/askst-what-happens-if-i-am-unvaccinated-and-get-infected-with-covid-19
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2021 02:50 pm
They're debating this very topic in Nova Scotia (I think it is) right now. I think the medical community is fed up. As of this morning, CBC reported over 560,000 medical procedures across the country have been postponed since Mar of 2020, and that's with not all provinces providing numbers. One guy flew himself to Lithuania for a knee replacement. He was in excruciating pain and was stuck on his couch.

I think the medical community should not have postponed some of these procedures in favour of the unvaccinated. It's going to take years and over a billion dollars to catch up on these postponements. Bad decision by medical authorities.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 05:09:16