Eat in tax. What the?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:31 pm
We have a tax on snack food here.

If you buy one muffin, it's a snack and taxable.
If you buy a box of six muffins, they're food and not taxable.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 09:26 pm
A snack tax?

Now that's weird.

Do ice cream parlors charge a snack tax?

If I go to a restaraunt and only order an appitizer do I get charged a snack tax?

What about sodas?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
I have heard about talks similar to snack tax - sort of along the lines of a sin tax - where they tax things like alcohol and cigarettes. The object is to discourage eating fatting sorts of foods. (The real object is to make more money).
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:21 am
Boomerang, Yes, in California you would have paid a sales tax whether you took your food to go or ate it on the premises. Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:33 am
boomerang wrote:
Do ice cream parlors charge a snack tax?

If I go to a restaraunt and only order an appitizer do I get charged a snack tax?

What about sodas?

Yes

No

Yes
0 Replies

TBONE1044

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:24 pm
EAT IN TAX @ Mc Donalds
Hey,
I live in MN and every time i have went to Mc Donalds i have gotten a 12 cent Eat in or take out tax on my receipt.

and we have no tax on food here in MN i guess if its not healty for ya they tax the Hell otta you? i have no idea....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:35 pm
This sounds like sour grapes propaganda to me. In Ohio, there is a sales tax (6.75% in Franklin County--Columbus) which applies to all purchases which are not otherwise exempted. Food purchased to be taken home is exempted. So if you buy a bag of sliders at White Castle, the assumption is that you will take it home, so there is no sales tax (although, of course, as any devotee of sliders know, 95% are purchased by drunks after the bars close, and most get eaten before the driver ever gets home, unless he is stopped for DUI). If you purchase food at the grocery store, it is exempted from the sales tax. If it ain't food (such as soda pop and certain categories of snacks and drinks), you get no exemption, so you pay the tax.

But if you sit down to eat it at a commercial establishment, then you obviously aren't taking it home, so the sales tax applies. I suspect this is a case of corporate sour grapes, wanting to create resentment among those who actually read a receipt from a fast food dive. I can't imagine, though, that any intelligent member here would do that, though . . . uhm . . . er, i mean . . . oh Hell, never mind . . .
0 Replies