Thanksgiving Issue: Do I not have the luxury?

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 12:07 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

....Even if it everyone is kind of making fun of each other, why would you do this to your wife if it is hurtful to her? Why would you want to hurt another person when you can simply not tell these stories.

Ba-da-bing! Exactly, Linkat. People hurt enough so there's no need or good reason to add to that.

And Starbucks - knock it off. You're obviously not sensitized to this. She. Doesn't. Like. It. That should be enough to stop it. No wonder she only stays an hour.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 01:20 pm
@Mame,
This crap escalates. I was always singled out for being the only one not from Yorkshire. My father suddenly becomes super Yorkshire whenever he goes there, praising everything Yorkshire and pointing out how un Yorkshire I am.

I wasconstantly ridiculed and couldn't respond because I was just a kid, and my father wouldn't hear a word said against his mother despite her remaining the foulest person I have ever met.

Obviously once I got old enough to leave home I avoided going to Yorkshire as much as possible, but some things can't be avoided.

As I've pointed outmy father is obsessed withYorkshire and the benighted village he was born in. He bought plots in the graveyard long ago.

When my mother died I had to go there for her funeral. Now there were a few relatives I hadn't seen for a while and some had never seen my youngest son. The last funeral I attended there was my grandmother's, and since then my own wife had died from breast cancer.

I brought them both upon my own, my youngest was only four when she died and by the time we went to my mother's funeral he was sixteen.

My late wife was very fair and prone to sunburn while I tan very easily and seldom burn. Both my children have inherited their mother's complexion. The funeral was in late August and I had been out a lot.

This was my mother's funeral, and my wife had died since the last time I had seen any of them.

My eldest cousin, who had long been my grandmother's favourite, and also very vocal during my childhood shouted out at me during the reception. She asked why I was so much darker than my kids and mockingly asking if they were mine, in short saying my late wife was unfaithful and I was bringing up someone else's kids.

Now every single person I have told this story to is shocked and disgusted at such behaviour. Every single person except my own father, who was outside the room when she shouted out. He is as deaf as a post anyway.

When I told him, at my mother's memorial service at the church where he lives in Somerset, his response was to say, "Don't be so daft."

We don't have much to do with each other anymore.

He's the one stuck in his house all alone while I'm surrounded by my loving family.

That's where this sort of abusive behaviour can lead.

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 02:39 pm
I'm sure you have chosen great friends. My friends are like sisters to me. I'm grateful to have them. Much better than most of my family Smile
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 02:47 pm
@Mame,
I do, I also live the other side of the country which helps.
Mame

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 02:57 pm
@izzythepush,
It always puzzles me when I see someone born into the wrong family. How'd that happen? My husband doesn't like his sister and doesn't respect his brother, but apparently we're going to his brother's for Christmas dinner. That boggles my mind. Why would you choose to spend hours with people you don't like?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2021 03:01 pm
@Mame,
I spend Christmas with my kids and friends, we have great time.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 25 Nov, 2021 09:52 am
Leave when you're ready and let him know he's free to do likewise.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 07:58:30