im thinking of moving out

theceo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:39 pm
ill be 18 in january and im thinking of moving out on my own and i was wondering what kind of expenses ill have, im trying to make sure i think of everything that way i dont get blindsided by anything and also so i can make this decision knowing everything. also im going to get my GED soon, but ive been told i cant get very many jobs with a GED, but can i atleast get into a community college with one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:46 pm
So you're screename apparently doesn't stand for "the ceo?"

Expenses: rent, utilities(heat, electricity, cable/internet, phone), buying your own food, transportation, decorating your apartment and furniture. And you can take classes at a community college, as far as I know.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:02 am
Yeah, community colleges accept GED students. Over 90% of US schools do, in fact.

In my opinion, you can't overlook medical and dental insurance. I suggest getting a job with great benefits, like at UPS, even if the wages are a little less. Especially if you're going to community college soon, UPS has benefits packages with great insurance and even assistance in tuition.

If you can get your place close enough to a good benefits job like that, perfect. Hoof it and save on gasoline. Very Happy I did so for a couple of years.

If you haven't already done so, find apartment candidates and make practice budgets. You can't make too many of them, trying different things. You may need to fudge some estimates, but when you do, fudge a little high. If you end up being wrong, you can buy yourself something nice rather than owe somebody something. Wink
0 Replies

theceo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:39 am
if i cant find a job with health and dental insurance, how much would it cost me to get that on my own?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:48 am
May I ask where you live?? Certain places you can apply for certain things and the cost of living is different everywhere
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:52 am
Can't the college provide health-care?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 11:55 am
Yes, most colleges provide health insurance. It is expensive but not as expensive as not having insurance.
0 Replies

theceo

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:13 pm
well right now i live in san antonio, tx, but towards febuary i plan on moving to illinois.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:13 pm
Well I know in Massachusetts you can get Mass health... but I don't think that goes for everywhere but I could be wrong
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:25 pm
If you move to a state simply for the college benefits, you usually have to pay out-of-state tution.

Meanwhile, since costs vary from one part of the country to another, you have to know where you will be living before you make a budget.

Good luck.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:42 pm
Here's what I would do if I were you:

Go to the nearest fancy tourist hotel and apply for the dead of night room service job.

You don't need an education to get the job and you have your days free to go to school.

Graveyard positions usually pay better and people who use room service in the dead of night are usually ordering $85 bottles of Jack Daniels. The gratuity is added in (usually 16%) but they'll tip you too - especially if you're fast (and discreet).

Hotels have employee cafeterias so it really cuts down on your food expenses.

Hotels provide you with a uniform so you don't have to spend all your dough on work clothes. Most hotels even have showers and stuff for their staff.

Hotels offer good benefits packages.

When you're not delivering $120 bottles of wine you have a lot of time to do your homework.

I once managed the room service department at a very ritzy tourist hotel so I do know what I'm talking about.

Rent/utilities/food/trasportation/school stuff -- you gotta budget for all of that stuff.
0 Replies

theceo

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
so how hard would you guys say it is living on your own? because if i do move out im giong to live in a small town in illinoi where the nearest town with job oppurtunities is about 30-45 min.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 12:42 pm
It's not hard if you have enough income to support yourself, but being broke sucks, especially when you have to pay rent.
0 Replies