Roommate From Hell...Help!!

nycdad

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:30 pm
I will make this situation short. In my desperation to leave the furnished room scenario behind, I allowed a former coworker to convince me to share an apartment with him. However, things are not working out. The man has become obsessed with my personal life.

1. I am not gay but I think he is which explains his obsession with me.

2. He is very controlling. Wants me to do what he thinks is best for me.

3. He is driving me crazy with his controlling behavior and not giving me ample space to breathe, to live, to do as I please on my days off.

4. He is 46 years old and never been married. He has no kids. I will call him xyz to conceal his identity.

5. Honestly, xyz's brother kicked him out of the house a few months back, which is the reason xyz begged me to share an apartment with him. He needed a place to live. I never found out why xyz got kicked out by his own brother.

We both signed a lease on 8/7/21. The lease is for one year. There are slightly over 9 months left on the lease. In my current situation 9 months is like 9 years. Honestly, this guy is impossible to deal with.

Questions:

1. Can I break the lease, a legal document, without suffering any legal ramifications?

check this out:

So, xyz is upset that I share a love for math and learning. He gets upset when I weekly visit my mother. He doesn't want me to enjoy my days off. He has two jobs. I have only one job. I sense a little envy on his part. Help!!

2. What can I do to get out of this situation before the lease expires?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 273 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:32 pm
Didn't you post about this before? I think you were told you can't break the lease.
nycdad

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2021 07:31 pm
@Mame,
You are right. I am desperate. Nine months left on the lease. I am going bunkers.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 09:35 am
@nycdad,
You need to set some boundaries, nycdad. Tell him what your limits are and the minute he encroaches, raise your hand and say "STOP". And maybe stay in your room or out of the house as much as possible.
nycdad

Reply Mon 22 Nov, 2021 08:53 pm
@Mame,
My roommate knows that I am doing my best I can to avoid him. He is not happy about the situation. The fool decided to give me the cold shoulder treatment. He needs me more than I need him. I know how to survive in a furnished room setting. My roommate is scared of furnished rooms. I hope he has a plan of action for August 2022. We are going to part ways but he doesn't know that I made that decision.
0 Replies