Should it be "came" instead?

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2021 07:48 pm
I wish this beautiful sweetheart never comes back to this cruel world.

Should it be "came" instead?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 236 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2021 08:02 pm
@tanguatlay,
No, this is a wish for the future.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 07:03 am
@tanguatlay,
I think it really needs more context as either "comes back" or "came back" can be seen as correct.

If you are regretting something that has happened (the "sweetheart" returned) you could say, "I wish this beautiful sweetheart never came back to this cruel world."

If you hope that something will not happen (the "sweetheart" returning) you would say, "I hope this beautiful sweetheart never comes back to this cruel world". "Wish" is not really the proper verb.

Quote:
According to the Webster Dictionary, the term “wish” can be defined as “a term that refers to a desire or point to something that one longs to have.” It is usually followed by an infinitive or a clause, such as in the example, “I wish to travel tomorrow.”

“Hope,” on the other hand, is used in a conversation conveying a possibility of an event that one looks forward to. The difference between “hope” and “wish” is that “hope” is backed by a reasonable confidence about the desire. Hope is also used to refer to something positive and doable.

more here:
differencebetween
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 07:43 am
Thanks, hightor.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should it be "came" instead?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:50:25