@Frank Apisa,
I always thought Daffy Duck said it.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 06:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

I dated the Green Hornet's daughter.

Wow! Really cool.

In high school, I had the nickname, Kato...which proved rather interesting during the trial of O. J. Simpson.

The Green Hornet was related to The Lone Ranger...the grand-nephew of John Reid.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 06:33 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

One of my best favorite radio shows was the whistler.
"I am the Whistler. And I know many strange things hidden in the hearts of men. I know the terrors of which they dare not speak. For I walk by night."

Early radio had some great quotes...of which that is one.

Two of my favorites:

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

The Shadow

"It shall be my duty as District Attorney to prosecute to the limits of the law all persons accused of crimes committed within my county...and to defend with equal vigor the rights and privileges of all its citizens."

Mr. District Attorney
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I always thought Daffy Duck said it.

Laugh!

Do they still do that "Guinness is good for you" that sounded like a duck with a throat problem was saying it?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 06:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
I have seen it a lot, but I frequent car boot sales.

I don't recall seeing it used contemporarily.

Nowadays Guinness is best remembered for the surfing advert.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 07:10 am
We got our first TV broadcasts in Fresno when I was twelve. Three networks using one channel. We got to own a 17" used TV a few years later.

One show that was odd to me was Straight Arrow. This painted up warrior that came thundering out of a secret cave bellowing Ka nee wah, Fury to his horse was in quiet times a mild mannered white rancher.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 01:47 pm
As far as heroes go, I loved Superman, I would make up scenarios in my head where I was in a terrible situation, and Superman would save me.

As a little kid, my mother would put a radio on the ledge of an open window. I would sit on a bench in front of the window and would listen to" When a Girl Marries", "The Right to Happiness", Stella Dallas. etc.

The soapier that the shows were, the more that I liked them.

(I'll bet that the vast majority of the people on this forum have no idea what I am writing about)
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 01:50 pm
My mother listened to soaps. Ma Perkins, Just Plain Bill - others.
Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
In around 1948, my grandmother got a 10" t.v. She lived upstairs from me, and we would watch in her house.

She had this big lens that was placed in front to the screen to make the picture look larger,
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 01:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe- Yeah, those too. Thanks for reminding me!
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 02:04 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Phoenix32890 wrote:

As far as heroes go, I loved Superman, I would make up scenarios in my head where I was in a terrible situation, and Superman would save me.

As a little kid, my mother would put a radio on the ledge of an open window. I would sit on a bench in front of the window and would listen to" When a Girl Marries", "The Right to Happiness", Stella Dallas. etc.

The soapier that the shows were, the more that I liked them.

(I'll bet that the vast majority of the people on this forum have no idea what I am writing about)

Yeah, Stella Dallas was BIG.

I think it went to TV also.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 02:08 pm
Hello, Duffy's Tavern, Where the elite meet to eat. Archie da managah speakin' Duffy ain't here.

Oh, hello Miss Duffy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 03:18 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Remember ads for products to make your TV picture "color?" A sheet of orangish plastic to place over the screen - Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 03:21 pm
Kind of late on radio was a kids' show that aired as one came home from school. Bobby Benson and the B Bar B Riders. That's where I first discovered Don Knotts. He played a character called "Windy." I thought by his voice he was a crusty old character like Walter Brennan.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 03:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I grew up in the sixties we had two channels BBC and ITV.

My parents mostly listened to BBC Radio 4. At lunchtime there was a slot called Listen with Mother where they would read a story. A out half z hour later there was watch sith mother on the BBC.

I can't remember any of the radio stories but lots of the TV ones really stand out, and a lot are on YouTube.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 03:49 pm
@izzythepush,
TV and radio both are on youtube. I sometimes listen or watch a few episodes.

We used to go to a drive in movie while listening to Suspense on the radio. It was maddening to be in the middle of an intense scene and the car stop for a light under a power line. Until we moved all we heard was static.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 06:47 am
Anybody remember Inner Sanctum? I remember the creaking door very well! It ran from January 7, 1941, to October 5, 1952.

https://youtu.be/3f3PoaGryfM
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 07:31 am
Funny thing about a show like Inner Sanctum: It didn't scare me. It took a Bromo Seltzer commercial to do that. This group of singers whisper-chanting Bromo Seltzer Bromo Seltzer Bromo Seltzer had me putting my head under the cover.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 07:36 am
@edgarblythe,
I was scared by the papier mache dragon in the village fete's production of George and the Dragon.

You could see the feet of the kids carrying it but I was terrified, I had a series of dragon themed nightmares for a long time.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 07:38 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Funny thing about a show like Inner Sanctum: It didn't scare me. It took a Bromo Seltzer commercial to do that. This group of singers whisper-chanting Bromo Seltzer Bromo Seltzer Bromo Seltzer had me putting my head under the cover.

Funny thing. Just two nights ago I saw a Bromo Seltzer commercial for the first time in YEARS. Not even sure if they did that "plop, plop, fizz, fizz" thing or not. Didn't pay any attention. In fact, while typing this note, I began thinking..."perhaps I didn't see it, I may have just dreamed it."

Are they back on the air?

1. Forums
  2. » Things do change.
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 04:56:29