Veteran's Day November 11

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 09:24 am
Veteran's Day November 11

In 1938 Armistice Day, November 11th, became a national holiday in the United States commemorating the end of World War I.

The armistice, the official end of World War 1 occurred November 11th, 1918 at 11 am.

In 1953, I was in the fourth grade, and on November 11th at 11 a.m., our class went outside and was instructed to remain silent for 1 minute to commemorate the end of World War 1, Armistice Day.

In 1954, Armistice Day officially became Veteran's Day to commemorate all veterans especially those at the time who served in World War II. However, Veterans Day commemorates all veterans who served in the armed forces.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 460 • Replies: 16

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 09:36 am
Somehow the veterans in my family all missed the shooting. My grandfather went to Paris, but WWI was essentially over. My uncles served during Korea but missed the fighting. I served during the Cuban Missile Crisis and my ship only went to the theater of war after I was separated. My oldest brother was drafted during Vietnam, but due to his ability to construct platforms they kept him at Fort Hood. I did what I could to discourage my children from enlisting. One daughter considered it but met someone instead.
roger

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 11:02 am
@edgarblythe,
I was in the Army from '62 till '67. Only left the states for a final two years in Germany. Many others went to southeast Asia.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 02:05 pm
Over here it's Remembrance Day. Not a holiday but people buy poppies in aid of armed forces charities and there's usually a minutes silence in shopping centres offices etc.

The full ceremony is on Sunday with members of the Royal family and leading politicians all laying wreaths at the Cenotaph.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 06:23 pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Benavidez
The story of one of the toughest sumbitches that ever lived.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Thu 11 Nov, 2021 08:53 pm
@izzythepush,
It's Remembrance Day here as well. We also have poppies and a minutes silence.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
Poppies used to be a big thing here. I miss them.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 09:56 am
I haven't seen any poppies since I left California.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 09:58 am
@bobsal u1553115,
There are big ones at the side of the road in some market towns. When my Brazilian d.i.l. saw one she asked what the big red thing was, it looked like an arse with a big black hole in the middle.

So much for reverence.

We put her right and she was mortified.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 10:03 am
@izzythepush,
May have been some bit of cosmic truth in her observation. So many bright lights extinguished and so many non participants got very wealthy.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 10:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I was in a production of Oh What A Lovely War at College. There's a very good scene involving the profiteering industrialists.

I've just finished watching Boardwalk Empire and some of the songs in that I remember singing, but with different words.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 10:07 am
@izzythepush,
Great series. Lots more historical fact in it than most.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 10:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It was, but I wasn't too happy about the ending. I suppose they had to do something with Tommy, but the real Thompson died in 1968.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 02:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, you know how we in the US worship the "dramatic arc" in a story, as well as a righteous comeuppance for a troubling character.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 03:40 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Have you seen Peaky Blinders?

It's set in Birmingham just after WW1 and is about a criminal gang although there's no prohibition so it's general racketeering.

It's very good the central character is compelling.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 12 Nov, 2021 05:40 pm
@izzythepush,
I haven't but I will look it up.

I've been reading about some of the underworld in London after the war. I admit, the Krays were seriously interesting.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 13 Nov, 2021 03:33 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I've seen the film with the Kemps, but not the most recent one.

The thing about the Krays it was the murder of Jack the hat McVitie which caused their downfall, and they only did that because their mum asked them to after he pushed his girlfriend from a moving car.

Peaky Blinders is the same time as Boardwalk Empire but the concerns are very different. In America it's prohibition, but in Britain it's revolution.

The Russian Revolution had a lot of support. There had been mutiny in the trenches lead by Percy Toplis, which is also the subject of another drama The Monocled Mutineer.

Anyway Peaky Blinders starts with a consignment of machine guns being stolen, and a rough Ulster policeman played by Sam Neill is dispatched to bring them back.

This is at the same time Ireland is going up in flames.

One big difference is that the effects of WW1 on the protagonists are looked at in some detail. Unlike Nucky Thompson, the main protagonist Thomas Shelby has just returned from the war and has flashbacks.

There's four seasons in total.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Veteran's Day November 11
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:23:40