Jealous and insecure

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2021 10:06 am
Okay so I feel really embarrassed writing this, but I keep having these intrusive jealous thoughts. Not jealous of him leaving me for other girls, more jealous of physical features of other women and projecting my own insecurities.

I (F22) am in my first relationship with a guy the same age, and we've been dating for 10 months now. In the beginning, I was never jealous when he mentioned that a girl on tv was pretty or when I saw him scrolling on instagram and seeing hot chicks pop up. But since the relationship progressed I suddenly started feeling very insecure about it. I compare myself to all these women and then notice everything that they have that I don't. I even made myself not like my small boobs as much because I keep comparing to other women (and I used to genuinely love my boobs!). And it's not his fault, he is the sweetest guy ever. I've talked to him about it and he wants to change for me, he doesn't comment on when he find a girl attractive anymore even though I think in a healthy relationship you should be able to say when you find some actress in a movie beautiful! But I just can't help but feel this sort of anger, sadness and insecurity inside me when I think of these things. I take everything he says the wrong way even though I know he means it differently. For instance, once I showed him this random pic that I saw scrolling on insta and said wow these boobs are out of control big that's so out of proportion with her body. And he was like 'well it's not ugly'. And he just means that respectfully to that woman I guess, but in my head I take it as ' he likes big boobs'. And then when I tell him I'm insecure about it he's just like well no I don't particularly like bigger boobs, but I also don't particularly like smaller boobs. And I know this is a very rational thing to say for him, but I am just crushed by it. A part of me is like 'why wouldn't he just lie and say he likes smaller boobs, who would say that to someone who's so insecure about it!' but then another part of me is like 'he is just stating that he doesn't care that much about boob size, so see it as a good thing'. I am just so exhausted by thinking about these things all the time. I was finally in a place where I started to love my body more, but now I'm getting more insecure even though my boyfriend gives me compliments all the time! Does someone have advise as how to stop these negative spiraling thouhgs? Thanks in advance!

jespah

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2021 11:19 am
@wwcropper,
I'm sure you've seen this image.
https://media.wired.com/photos/59a459d3b345f64511c5e3d4/16:9/w_2494,h_1403,c_limit/MemeLoveTriangle_297886754.jpg
You're acting like the gal in blue.

And she is justified to a certain extent. But only to an extent.

Good for you for seeing that, unlike the above image, there really isn't a gal in red. Yes, there are women he may be commenting on in some capacity. But he's not catcalling them, not ignoring you to drool over them, yes? At least, I'm not getting that vibe from what you wrote.

Let's unpack a few things:
  1. Him scrolling on Instagram and "seeing hot chicks pop up" is the reality of Instagram. He's not necessarily doing anything to find those images, and he probably isn't. It's a lot more likely that he's being fed what's popular via the algorithm. Don't be jealous of an algorithm. That way lies madness.
  2. Showing him images like the woman with the oversized breasts was, what, exactly? Are you looking to pick a fight with him? You know him commenting on other women bothers you. Yet, you were voluntarily asking him to … comment on another woman. Your feelings on that one are all you. And that includes your being affected when he was actually pretty nice and certainly noncommittal about it. Why are you going from zero to 60 on that? Why is that triggering the same behavior and feelings and reaction from you if he'd been slobbering over this image? And again, why the hell are you borrowing trouble this way? Cut that out yesterday. You're only actively harming yourself, picking a fight, and essentially putting your boyfriend between a rock and a hard place. And for no good reason whatsoever.
  3. You say you think he should be free to speak as he wishes. Yet you're behaving the precise opposite of that. No, he's not free to speak. You're creating a situation where you dangle the carrot of free speech and then bash him with the stick of "Oh noes, I am so insecure." This is monumentally unfair to him.
  4. And... he wants to change for you. That's nice. But this isn't him sobering up, or standing up to a controlling parent, or graduating college. It's him kowtowing to your wishes that he … do what, exactly? Speak only when he's spoken to, when it comes to women? Take it on the chin 100% of the time because no matter what he says to you, you're going to go to Defcon 5?
  5. Your bodily insecurity is really out of whack here. And by shoving images of women who have the characteristic you wish you had in front of his face, seeking a reaction? You're feeding into your own securities. Once again, that's all on you.
Do you want larger breasts? Then eat cake every day for a few years, and I guarantee you'll have them. Oh, you don't want the larger waist that goes with that? Do you see where you're being ridiculous? Or hey, if your small breasts bother you that much, why not volunteer in a breast cancer ward? Then you'll have the largest breasts in the room.

Are ya happy now?

You are sabotaging your relationship with the "sweetest guy ever". You are spoiling for a fight. Are you bored? Unfulfilled? You're taking it out on him, and that's terrible.

Am I being harsh? Yes, I am. And I know what it was like to be young; don't think I've forgotten, because I haven't.

I highly recommend counseling. Find out why you're so hellbent on creating problems for yourself and your fellow. Find out why you—maybe—don't think you deserve to be happy and don't think you're good enough.

I am not a doctor. But I don't have to be one to see you've got issues.
engineer

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2021 12:19 pm
@jespah,
Sounds like he is both straight (notices women) and respectful (isn't obnoxious towards them). That's a decent catch. As to your insecurities, it seems like society tells you there is one, perfect female ideal. The reality is that individual guys are attracted to a wide variety of appearances. You've been dating this guy for a while now, it should be apparent to you that your appearance is inside his window. If you make the fear of stepping on your insecurities larger than the enjoyment he gets spending time with you your relationship is going to be in trouble.
PUNKEY

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2021 05:23 pm
@engineer,
I agree. You are going to drive this guy away if you keep projecting your insecurities on his every comment about other girls.

On the other hand, he is in his 20’s and thinks with his penis a lot.

A simple “ I don’t appreciate being compared to other women. Please don’t do that again.” should give him directions. You can help by not offering ( or setting him up) by drawing attention to the physical attributes of other people.

Both of you have maturing to do.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Nov, 2021 07:54 pm
Your title says it all. The question is what do you do stop it.

Accept him as he is (he's not a reclamation project).

Or leave (You have the right to want things the way you need them to be and if he can't accept that, g'day).

Women expect men to change, and men expect women to stay the same.
They are both condemned to disappointment.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Jealous and insecure
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 04:33:55