Who woulda thunk what I found?

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:29 pm
Nancy and I were taking our daily walk the other day...when I noticed a plastic bag in the gutter. Had some stuff in it that looked interesting...and since the bag looked clean, I took a closer look.

A closer look was interesting enough for me to open the bag.

Much to my surprise I had found maybe $400,000.

I almost **** my pants.

In fact, if the bills had been whole rather than shredded, I am sure I would have done that.

Here is a picture of what I found:

https://i.postimg.cc/pXWP33SH/100-3991.jpg

Each has a New York Federal Reserve sticker on it saying that it weighs about 2.2 lbs and contains about 1000 shredded notes. It also notes that the NY Fed generates about 3 million pounds of shredded bills per year...and that if the bills in the pack were all $100 bills, it would amount to about $100,000.

Wonder who decided to throw them into the gutter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 266 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:41 pm
You're going to need lots of glue.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I hope you plan on contacting the authorities about your find right? Even if possession of these bags isn't a crime, something weird enough happened that they really need to know about where you found them.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 12:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
Okay. I found the following info.
Quote:
Does the Treasury Department sell shredded paper currency? Where can I buy it?
Yes. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) destroys currency notes that are found to be imperfect during the printing process. The BEP packages small bags of shredded currency from the destroyed new currency, and sells these bags as mementos to visitors at the BEP's Washington , DC and Fort Worth , TX Visitor Centers. The BEP also sells five pound bags of shredded currency through the mail. Orders can be placed on the BEP's website, www.moneyfactory.gov or by calling 1-800-456-3408.

The Federal Reserve System destroys worn currency notes at some of its various banks located throughout the country. Shredded currency is available only from certain Federal Reserve Banks. They sell it only under contract to buyers who will purchase the entire residue for at least a one year period. It is not readily available for distribution or for sale in small quantities to individuals because of operational difficulties and excessive administrative work for Federal Reserve Banks.

The Treasury Department approves the use of shredded currency in certain circumstances. One permitted use is recycling it (mixing it with other materials) to form a useful manufactured product such as roofing shingles or insulation. In addition, the shredded currency may be placed in firmly sealed containers as novelty items like pens, ornaments and jewelry. However, the Treasury will allow companies or other parties to sell the shredded currency in its original form or where it is readily not recoverable.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/currency/pages/edu_faq_currency_sales.aspx
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 29 Oct, 2021 03:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Okay. I found the following info.
Quote:
Does the Treasury Department sell shredded paper currency? Where can I buy it?
Yes. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP) destroys currency notes that are found to be imperfect during the printing process. The BEP packages small bags of shredded currency from the destroyed new currency, and sells these bags as mementos to visitors at the BEP's Washington , DC and Fort Worth , TX Visitor Centers. The BEP also sells five pound bags of shredded currency through the mail. Orders can be placed on the BEP's website, www.moneyfactory.gov or by calling 1-800-456-3408.

The Federal Reserve System destroys worn currency notes at some of its various banks located throughout the country. Shredded currency is available only from certain Federal Reserve Banks. They sell it only under contract to buyers who will purchase the entire residue for at least a one year period. It is not readily available for distribution or for sale in small quantities to individuals because of operational difficulties and excessive administrative work for Federal Reserve Banks.

The Treasury Department approves the use of shredded currency in certain circumstances. One permitted use is recycling it (mixing it with other materials) to form a useful manufactured product such as roofing shingles or insulation. In addition, the shredded currency may be placed in firmly sealed containers as novelty items like pens, ornaments and jewelry. However, the Treasury will allow companies or other parties to sell the shredded currency in its original form or where it is readily not recoverable.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/currency/pages/edu_faq_currency_sales.aspx

Yeah. I had looked all that up within minutes of my find.

I cannot sell them...legally, although if you look on eBay or any of the on-line selling services...they are all over the place.

Decent prices too.

I ain't selling. I wanna keep it and roll in it once in a while.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 30 Oct, 2021 08:50 pm
@tsarstepan,
Exactly what I thought. I remember taking a tour where they make these dollar bills ... Then in another room there is a group of people reviewing pages of bills ... A quality review of them and I also vaguely remember in the gift shop you could buy the shredded bills that did not meet the quality review.

Now granted this was when I was a teen but what really sticks in my mind is these people flipping through the pages of the bills. It is a cool thing to see if you go to D.C.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Who woulda thunk what I found?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:46:39