It's really hard for me to feel sorry for people who were the last of their classmates to turn 21:

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2021 10:29 pm
People with fall birthdays are usually the ones who have this experience as they usually turn 18 their freshman year and 21 their senior year. My birthday is at the end of September, which means that I, too, would've had this experience had things gone smoothly for me; only they didn't. A few weeks into my freshman year, I dropped out of college due to anxiety. I went back the following fall as an almost-19-year-old freshman. When I turned 21 at the beginning of my junior year, one of my roommates said to me, "Lucky you. I don't turn 21 for another year." I remember thinking to myself, "Lucky? Lucky that I had to drop out of college? Lucky that I'm going to have to watch all my friends from high school graduate college before me?"

The other night, I was talking to a family friend who has a 20-year-old son who just started his senior year of college. I asked how he was doing and they said, "He's really unhappy right now. Most of his friends can go out to bars and he can't." I had to stop myself from responding with "Would he rather have my experience?"

These are just a couple of examples. Across various internet forums, I've seen countless people acting like victims because they couldn't go bar-hopping until midway through their senior year. But what they don't seem to realize is that this is only because they had a straight clean path, as opposed to the messy crooked path I had; a path that being the first of my friends to turn 21 wasn't worth. It's almost as if they're saying they wish they had had to drop out of college. Would these people really rather have the experience I did?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 308 • Replies: 5

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 01:56 am
@tbwltmwtf,
18 is the age we can go into pubs.

I started when I was 17, nobody asked if I was old enough.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 05:08 am
@tbwltmwtf,
Other people's ages and your mental health experiences are unrelated.
Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 08:16 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

Other people's ages and your mental health experiences are unrelated.

Exactly - you had a certain issue not necessarily because of your age...everyone handles things differently and what is important or impactful to one person is different to another.

Another point - when you start school vs your age is also different depending on your personal situation and where you started school. My daughter is a freshman in college. Her birthday is the end of September and she is one of the oldest in her class -- our parameters for starting school is different than yours -- the cutoff is September 1st so it ends up being those with birthdays in September are the oldest of their class.

Her roommate who is also a freshman is a year older due to the fact that she was homeschooled part of her childhood and when she moved and went into regular school they felt she should be a year behind academically.

Another friend is a very gifted girl academically - she went to college 2 years ahead of the typical age so she was 2 years younger than the majority of her peers.

All 3 of these situations are different and they had issues and/or successes that varied. But because they are different people not because of a year or two difference in ages.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 08:25 am
When I was at college the American exchange students all went a little wild at the beginning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Oct, 2021 01:13 pm
When I turned 21 I was on a ship bound for Honolulu. In Hawaii, the drinking age was 18. I didn't dwell on it for long. The beer was more expensive than it was in California. I could barely afford a few drinks on a Seaman Apprentice's pay.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's really hard for me to feel sorry for people who were the last of their classmates to turn 21:
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:06:04