we just discovered Native Americans down here
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 12:06 pm
What's the main course for dinner?
Mame

Reply Mon 11 Oct, 2021 04:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
People normally serve the same thing they would at Christmas but we're having Fettucine Alfredo with three cheeses, some deli sausages, crispy brussel sprouts and caesar salad with homemade vinaigrette. I have a 5-6 lb free range chicken we'll have Dec 25th.

FM - what tribe did you discover down there?
farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 10:37 am
@Mame,
just returned from an investigation in one of the prvinces, all ready for our t'day
I got 10 pounds of frozen service berris shipped down an the wre stolen in shipping.
Im gonna claim a huge basket a cash . now all we have is pukin pie
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 10:40 am
@Mame,
EVER TASTE TOF-URKEY???
Boy that **** really sux. i didnt always hate faux meat but its being provided with a kind of metallic undertaste that makes me sick
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 11:32 am
Things I won't eat at Thanksgiving: Green bean salad; anything inundated with cheese; this year no sugar; alcohol.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 11:32 am
@farmerman,
You couldn't pay me to eat tofu and the thought of a tofurkey makes me want to retch.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 11:36 am
Oh yeah. Tofu.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 11:56 am
@edgarblythe,
We've "Thanksgiving" (Erntedank) earlier here in Germany - in the Catholic church on the first Sunday in October, in the Protestant churches on the first Sunday after Michaelmas (29 September).

In the past, it was customary to celebrate the end of the harvest with a big feast. Lords of the manor and farmers thanked everyone who had helped with the harvest with harvest festivals. As a reward for their hard work, the harvesters, maids and farmhands were treated to a feast and harvest beer, music was played and there was much celebration.

Nowadays, the harvest festival is an opportunity to show children and adults the value of our food and to explain that bread, fruit and vegetables do not grow in supermarkets and how much work is involved from sowing to harvesting.

The Christian core of the harvest festival is not only giving thanks but also sharing. That is why the food from the harvest altar is donated to the needy, homeless shelters or other institutions. There is also an appeal for donations for aid projects.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:00 pm
We don't have any real reasoning behind ours any longer, if we ever did. It's just another holiday. I don't observe most holidays, but some families are big into Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:41 pm
I consider Thanksgiving a time for reflecting over our time on the planet and hope for the future. Christmas is to me the time of peace among all humans in our hearts if nowhere else. Easter used to be a time to make the kids happy when we had kids at home.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:44 pm
@edgarblythe,
whoever invented that green bean with onion chips on top made in some kind a vile white mushroom soup sauce, oughta be disemboweled
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 12:46 pm
@farmerman,
He ain't from the same family tree as me.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 02:12 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

whoever invented that green bean with onion chips on top made in some kind a vile white mushroom soup sauce, oughta be disemboweled

That stuff is vile.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 02:33 pm
@glitterbag,
It certainly sounds vile, but I hear green bean casserole is a must. I hate green beans. Well, I would eat them raw, but when cooked - ugh.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 02:57 pm
@Mame,
It's become a fairly recent addition. Neither my Grandmother nor my Mom ever made it for Thanksgiving dinner, come to think of it, neither one of them ever made that green bean atrocity. I know the green bean thing has become popular, but it's kind of a filler item (easy to make) and has gotten tucked into Thanksgiving mainly because it's cheap (for restaurants).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 03:03 pm
Another thing I see a lot is deviled eggs. I like them at other times but they seem out of place at Thanksgiving. And, too filling, considering everything else being served.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2021 03:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've noticed deviled eggs listed as appetizers on restaurant menus, but I wouldn't make them for Thanksgiving (I like my version).....They are easy to make, but it still consumes too much kitchen time for me.

1. Forums
  2. » HAPPY THANKsGIVING DAY CANADIA
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:07:57