Movie Idea: "The Chair"

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2021 11:57 am
I had an idea for a film, called ‘The Chair’.

A Swiss banker duels his family to run their banking interests, opposed by a scientist watching from afar terrified of becoming an inmate in a facility, for reasons unknown, making contact with the Swiss banker through agent accounts run by toys on internet processing serves. An exchequer clerk in Canada makes contact with the Swiss banker, with a Queen’s note offered for his victory in the match, to become the chief representative of Indian Imperial Imports, an ale company that is under the control of a powerful media firm.

The film would have to close, with the scientist, being restrained in the tower of London, having been revealed as being behind the media firm’s graft and tax as a result of being criminally insane, and not understanding the purpose of commodities as being a faulty structure, instead thinking them to be an actual campus pursuit in his younger days, before picking up accounting to perform terror raids on Canadian finance out of fear of simple plots from film and comics.

He is strapped into the chair personally, by the Swiss banker, upon ceding the duel, hence winning in the eyes of The Lord, through the Vicar, Her Majesty.

I'd love the piece be played by John Malkovich, I enjoyed him in Dangerous Liaisons, but anyone could sustainably play a role, as long as a suitable villain was found.

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2021 12:30 pm
@cheater120,
Welcome to the wonderful world of having ideas.

Ideas are easy.

Executing them is hard.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no one will make a movie based on an unknown's vague idea. Hollywood films cost in the millions and the boards of directors of those corporations are bound by what's called Sarbanes-Oxley (look it up) to only acquire properties where they've got a good fighting chance of them turning a profit. Hence, sequels and reboots rule the day. It's hard to get a new property made, even when you're an insider, which you are not (and neither am I, BTW).

Want to make this as a film? Here are the steps (simplified and I've probably left something or other out):

1) Write the story as prose.
2) Workshop it with fellow writers so you can polish it.
3) Get it edited by a professional.
4) Now put it into script format (I suggest writing prose first because prose pushes you to make choice which scripts might leave to actors and, sorry to say, you're not going to be working with Malkovich).
4a) (optional, but helpful) Bring in backers. Be prepared for them to push their own agendas. A good example of this is in the movie Ed Wood. And if you don't bring in backers, I hope you've got a good $300,000 lying around -- that's how much the original Blair Witch Project cost.
5) Get a place to film it (make sure you have permission).
6) Get all necessary equipment (film schools might be the way to go).
7) Hire actors (local summer stock actors are probably fine).
7a) (kind of optional) Hire an actual director rather than doing this yourself.
8) Purchase things like catering, insurance, and the services of a crew.
9) Film it. Be prepared for this to take months, and to act as the project manager for the piece. That's what a producer does.
10) Get it edited (again, film schools are probably your go-to).
11) Work with an advertising company to get a trailer cut.
12) Bring in a social media person or other marketer.
13) Hire an assistant (virtual is fine; you can hire folks from Upwork) to keep track of everything and help out. I'm suggesting them here rather than earlier as things are about to get seriously clerical.
14) Start promoting the film on media; social and otherwise.
15) Shop the film to various local festivals. Be prepared to pay for the privilege of entering it into competitions. Your VA can keep track of where you enter festivals and competitions, how much you've had to pay, and your results.
16) Hire an accountant to either take into consideration profits or help you declare losses on your taxes.

Yep, it's like that.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Movie Idea: "The Chair"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/16/2024 at 07:52:19