Can "Second" be used without "First" in an earlier paragraph?

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:00 am
If the doubling of cases continues, Singapore could see 3,200 cases a day next month, he added.

Second, it is unclear how many more patients will fall seriously ill and die.

This number is at a much lower level due to the protective effect of vaccinations. A total of 23 intensive care unit (ICU) beds have been occupied.

Can "Second" be used without "First" in the preceding paragraph?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 408 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 10:20 am
Obviously it can. You gave an example of it.

I suspect you are asking...should it be done.

My answer would be that stylistically, it would be best to use "First" in the first sentence...and then use "second" (or secondly) in the next one.

It's sorta like starting a conversation with, "And in the second place..."...which I did one time. I had been thinking arguments over in my mind before opening my mouth...and sounded like an idiot. We both laughed at my mistake.
engineer

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 01:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It sounds terrible. It also doesn't sound like it is in the same vein as the first sentence. If you are numbering something (like thoughts), you would think that each sentence is a thought. Here it sounds like the second sentence is a clarification of the first, not something of equivalent value.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 02:05 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

It sounds terrible. It also doesn't sound like it is in the same vein as the first sentence. If you are numbering something (like thoughts), you would think that each sentence is a thought. Here it sounds like the second sentence is a clarification of the first, not something of equivalent value.

Yup.

The paragraph just doesn't have a decent tone to it as written.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 06:05 pm
I would have replaced "Second" with "Also". I agree with you two about the numbering. I mean, how is it any different if you had no First or Second, and started your third point with "Thirdly"? Weird. It would make me want to mentally insert a Firstly and Secondly and that would just annoy the crap out of me. Don't make me edit your stuff!!! Plus, consistency is the key.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 1 Oct, 2021 06:01 am
I have a feeling that there are previous sentences that have been left out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can "Second" be used without "First" in an earlier paragraph?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.34 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:16:17