Summer of Rain - at least one positive

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2021 04:12 pm
We had a lot of rain this summer - as a result I have not weeded and maintained our large yard as much as typical. Since then I found a "weed" that I typically pull actually has some flowers on it that surprised me. As I watched one morning - a humming bird approached and was enjoying the nectar of these wild flowers and then a honey bee.

I now have learned at least from watching how very valuable these wildflowers are and will no longer pull the weeds. I did see some other wildflowers too and how pretty these all are - they are on the edge of my yard where the woods start and my yard ends - kind of in a bit of wetlands type (made more wet due to the amount of rain).

I believe these flowers are jewelweeds. The honey bees need all the help they can get so next year I won't pull them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 290 • Replies: 5
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Sep, 2021 05:47 pm
Good deal. I support that kind of yard managing. My next door neighbor planted milkweed for Monarch butterflies. When she noticed a kind of wasp eating them before they were ready to open up she bought some webbing to put around them. It seems to have worked.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 06:41 am
@Linkat,
The rain in the Northeast has been a real blessing this year. We've had so many dry summers in a row that I was used to seeing yellow grass and brown leaves by August – not this year, I'm glad to say. We've also had a good population of pollinators. I've been planting buckwheat as a cover crop after I've harvested the lettuce beds and it's amazing how many little flies and unidentified bees show up, as well as wasps, yellowjackets, bumblebees, and honeybees. The eryngiums and pink asters are just humming with pollinators – you walk by and a whole cloud of them rises up and resettles after you pass.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 23 Sep, 2021 06:55 am
@hightor,
Quote:
I was used to seeing yellow grass
same here.

the front lawn gets direct sunlight and usually turns to straw by mid-july,
but this year it's been plush and green all summer.

all i have to do is cut it once a week -- nature does the rest...
farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Sep, 2021 03:59 pm
@Region Philbis,
we live in an ag paradise,just nough rain, heat, and sunshine in the epring through fall. This year, nah ah. tooo much rain but the watery fruits were outstanding grown in raised beds, sweet tomatoes, watermelons, and onions in bottomland, (onions like mucky soils). I grew an ntire acre of Walla Walla onions, very sweet and not insipid like Vedalias.

We planted a pile of asian pear trees and a :fence row: of seedless grapes about 6 years ago. They are fantstic, The CORN, not so much, AND, for the alfalfa , itcoulda been drier . We lost maybe 20 acres of alfalfa feed hay instead we were left with wet MULCH hay and we sold it all to the mushroom farms. for 75 bucks a ton instead of 350 (3,5 T per acre)
Its like Eden here but we coulda stood a bit less rain an the damn tornadoes over in Chester County between Oxford and Chadds Ford and the ida floods really caused damages to the ruberb .
communities. lotsa roofs gone and trees blown through the power lines. lotsa folks were out of juice for 2weeks,

we have tornadoes about every 3 years, (used to be every 5 years)

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 25 Sep, 2021 12:14 am
The summer of 2021 was the rainiest in Germany for ten years. The extreme precipitation in mid-July caused by low pressure "Bernd" was the main contributor. The result was a flood disaster of historic proportions in North Rhine-Westphalia (my state) and Rhineland-Palatinate. 180 lives were lost. This was the most serious natural disaster since the storm surge of 1962.

Many people will probably have found the summer of 2021 quite cool, which of course was also due to the hot previous years. However, if you look at the data soberly, you can even see a positive deviation of 0.3 degrees. The only heat wave of the year occurred in mid-June.
With around 31.6 summer days (temperatures above 25°C), this year's summer is also in line with the long-term average.

The trees are recovering this year from the heat stress of the last few years, so there are no acorns and beechnuts to sweep in the yard.
The lawn isn't yellow anymore, and also the plants and bushes are greener again and grow well.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Summer of Rain - at least one positive
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 12:02:19