What's the deal with apple cider vinegar

Linkat

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 07:32 pm
Seems this is something recommended for all your ails.

Energy, metabolism ..suppressing appetite..

So is this all true? Is it the new wonder treatment?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 521 • Replies: 20
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 08:00 pm
@Linkat,
Don't know. I've heard of the benefits for years, but never tried it. Maybe we're both spending too much time on the internet.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 08:12 pm
@Linkat,
Three weeks ago I began juicing two rather large lemons and adding two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and mixing it in 16 oz water. The first few times that was the recipe. Then I added enough raw honey to make the taste more pleasing. I began this because I was reading the benefits. Helps the liver. Helps your evening meal to digest quicker. Shortly after I started I would wake up and my belly
would seem a bit smaller. After three weeks I have to put a new notch in my belt. I'm sold.
Mame

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Do you think that's just from the vinegar or the combination? Either way, go edgar! My son and DIL told me they've been on the KETO diet for 2 weeks. He's lost 13 lbs and she's lost 6. Whatever works.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2021 09:25 pm
@Mame,
I started it because it is said to be beneficial to the liver. Except for a big belly I am not fat.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 01:31 am
I found some in the cupboard the other day to put on my chips because we were out of malt.

That’s about it.

I don’t know about health benefits but it tasted alright.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 03:30 am
It's mostly due to the current hype about fermented foods and maintaining gut health. Sauerkraut, kimchi, and all sorts of other lacto-fermented foods supposedly work to make your digestive system more effective.

Here's some information from a relatively measured source:
https://health.clevelandclinic.org/exploring-the-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar/

And here's a more enthusiastic discussion about gut health in general:
https://foodrevolution.org/blog/best-foods-for-gut-health/

I actually use cider vinegar on a daily basis in my morning smoothie – but only for the flavor. I've just always had a thing for vinegar.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 03:46 am
Posh crisps are sea salt and cider vinegar flavour as opposed to salt ‘n vinegar.

There is quite a difference.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 07:26 am
@hightor,
I love vinegar so adding this is no problem - I will slice cucumbers and add vinegar so maybe just change it to cider vinegar. I also love those vinegar and salt potato chips although I don't eat them or very rarely do as chips are so bad for you.

Yeah I had learned much about gut health as I brought my daughter to a functional doctor to see if they could help her reduce her anxiety - she did not do well with the diet --- cutting out dairy was especially hard on her as some of her favorite foods contained dairy and in her words not being able to have certain foods caused her more anxiety - she did try it for the 3 months as recommended though and she did not feel it helped her.

But that is an aside - one thing I did learn was the importance of gut health in your overall health so yeah I can see the benefits of having certain foods and avoiding others.

I was curious on this apple cider thing just that I saw so much on it and wanted to see if it was more a fad or truly helpful. In any case I do like the taste so adding it to my diet is no problem whatsoever.

Also curious if there is anything "bad" about it - I know some things even "good" minerals and vitamins can be "bad" if you have too much of it.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 07:43 am
I don't know of any downside, except that like anything else not to overdo it.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 08:09 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
I will slice cucumbers and add vinegar so maybe just change it to cider vinegar.

If you have nice small pickle-sized cucumbers try this sometime: make a brine with a quarter cup of canning salt and 6 cups of water (non-chlorinated). Cut the cukes into spears, put them in a big glass bowl (if you want, you can add some dill and crushed garlic), and cover them with the brine. Put a dinner plate over them to keep them submerged. You can keep this on a counter, as long as the cukes stay covered in brine. And in a day or two they're well 0n their way to becoming fermented "new pickles". You can leave them out for a few more days if you like and they'll approach "half sours". Then put them, with the brine, in your refrigerator — if you have any left; I usually start snacking on them after a day. These are pretty tasty and they couldn't be easier to make. The lactic acid means you don't even need to add vinegar.

I've made full sour deli pickles in a five gallon bucket — basically the same process, you just put them in the cellar for a much longer time and let them ferment away, but new pickles are pretty delicious and really quick to make.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 08:57 am
What a co-inky dink to be reading this now. I just started taking 1-2 tablespoons of ACV before breakfast about 4 days ago. I read someone whose opinion I hold some value in saying that the weight loss and cleansing effects were significant. I had started losing weight after a couple months of “intermittent fasting” , but had kind of plateaued out. So I needed something to jumpstart me again.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 09:45 am
I use it in the fruit fly trap that I have. Fruit flies get to be a problem here around the beginning of summer. I think they come from the bananas we get at the supermarket. Other types of vinegar work, but apple cider vinegar is the best.
Mame

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 10:57 am
@InfraBlue,
Yes, and if you put in a drop or two of Dawn, they drown. I don't think they come from bananas because we get them for 6 - 8 weeks every summer and I don't buy bananas. But that concoction works great!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 11:40 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

I use it in the fruit fly trap that I have. Fruit flies get to be a problem here around the beginning of summer. I think they come from the bananas we get at the supermarket. Other types of vinegar work, but apple cider vinegar is the best.

Does not sound too healthy or cleansing for them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 11:41 am
@hightor,
Hmm maybe I will try this - will likely go to my local farmers market this Sunday so might find some good cukes for that.
snood

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2021 12:15 pm
@Linkat,
I’m definitely gonna try the acv on some cukes
0 Replies

manpreetrockerji

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 02:05 am
@Linkat,
it is good for weight loss but tastes like hot ****
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 11:55 am
I don’t know about a wonder treatment but we use it in our household as a dressing on salads with a little bit of olive oil.Pretty good tasting.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Sep, 2021 12:01 pm
Another thing I do with the vinegar is chop up beets, bell peppers and pour a little over them. Tasty and sweet.

1. Forums
  2. » What's the deal with apple cider vinegar
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:19:23