Buying Windows

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 07:29 am
Has anyone purchased windows for their house recently?

This is actually the first time I have been in the market to purchase windows. Our contractor suggested we begin looking at with the current situation there can be a long lead time to acquire these. He also said to try not to purchase from a big box store as they tend to be lower quality. So he gave us a few suggestions and we started.

My husband jumped in and booked an appointment - wasn't one of the manufacturers the contractor recommended, but my husband saw they had an office locally. Big mistake - the guy was here for quite a while - I did not like the sales tactics whatsoever - after quoting us this huge price - he then went on to say because we were in the market for so many he would knock off 25% and then 10% for some other reason and then another 10% if we committed today.

I said no way would I decide at this point. He then went on to say - they would still more than likely give that extra 10%. We told him we would let him know the following week.

We ended up going to a place that sold various types of windows one of which our contractor recommended. We showed him the details that this sales person gave us - so he would have the dimensions - showed up a variety and the price (without any discounts) was a lower than what the other was telling us with all his discounts. And we liked these windows better. Not to mention to low key sales pitch.

In the mean time that other guy called back and said we would get an even further discount.

What the hell? I am not buying from them if they gave it us free.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 193 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 10:09 am
@Linkat,
When we renovated we went with a window company who also did the install. I can't remember what we paid, but we've been happy with them. That first outfit sounds like a rip-off.
Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 11:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

When we renovated we went with a window company who also did the install. I can't remember what we paid, but we've been happy with them. That first outfit sounds like a rip-off.

From what I heard it is cheaper if you have your contractor install it - in our case because we are doing certain work with the contractor any way - it made sense while he was doing the other stuff just to install the windows.

You should have seen the price if you wanted him to install - even that salesman said it is less if you have your own installer.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 11:06 am
@Linkat,
Well, I didn't have a contractor at that time. They did have to come back and adjust one, at no cost, of course. It wasn't prohibitive. We had 6 windows and the sliding door replaced.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 01:16 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

We had 6 windows and the sliding door replaced.

I had a pair of trousers like that once.
Mame

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 02:33 pm
@izzythepush,
what?? lol
izzythepush

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2021 02:57 pm
@Mame,
You can’t leave the windows open, need to get curtains that match what’s already there.

A lot of tailors won’t touch it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Buying Windows
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:27:39