Fast Pass and automated Tolls

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 10:21 am
In most states in the US tolls are now all automated - meaning you have a transponder in your car that records when you go through a toll and automatically charges it to your account. Those that do not have a transponder, there is some system in place where they record your license plate and bill you via snail mail and charge you a little more of course to compensate for the bill and mail charges.

I know this works as a few years ago - my husband went through one of these tolls going over a bridge in New York. It is actually really cool where they sent the bill and there was a picture of the car from the back - it was clear enough I could recognize the back of my husband's head.

Any way a few months ago we went to pick up my daughter from college and took her on a little road trip after to Nashville. We forgot our transponder (as we got a new car and forgot to put the old transponder in the new car). So a few months go by and no bills yet. Does anyone know how long it takes to get these bills? I know we did go through some tolls - I do not remember how long it took to get the one before but it did not seem this long.

Also what are your thoughts on these? I think I tend to go through more tolls and not pay attention to the high prices since getting this transponder.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 192 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 11:26 am
@Linkat,
In North Carolina, the toll bill takes about a month. I wonder how it works for out of state licenses. Are you in Tennessee? I haven't bothered to get a transponder as the main toll road I go on is near Charlotte and I drive there three or four times a year. The prices here are pretty cheap so I don't notice them. How much do you end up paying?
Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 11:28 am
@engineer,
I am in Mass - we drove down to Virginia and then to TN and then to KY to visit some family and then home. We did not have a lot of tolls but definitely had some. That same one too in NY that my husband had such a wonderful picture of the back of his head.

I typically do not drive on toll roads where I live - but decided to go a head and get one as going to the airport for example is a toll - you save a little maybe 50 cents or a dollar depending on the toll - but it was easy to get - I just got it at AAA.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 12:50 pm
We have one toll road in Britain, the M6, although we do have toll bridges and tunnels.

Toll roads are very much resisted over here, we pay a lot in fuel duty and road tax as it is and toll roads do not go down well. The M6 was hardly a success.

I have paid while driving on the continent, France was easy enough, but I screwed up royally in Italy and could only pay the toll when I got back home.

I’ve had the car photographed in car parks and recently the back of the car when I inadvertently drove through a bus lane, but you could not see who was driving the car at all.

I don’t know if I’d like photo showing me driving, it does feel a bit intrusive.
Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Sep, 2021 01:26 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

I don’t know if I’d like photo showing me driving, it does feel a bit intrusive.

It was a bit creepy - couldn't believe how clear the picture was.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fast Pass and automated Tolls
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/08/2024 at 10:47:16