Can this sequence be finite for prime numbers?!

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 12:28 am
A certain Petrov I. B. (Ivan Borisovich, he has a namesake - Igor Borisovich) published an article "[Petrov I. B. "Quasi-exponential primes", SI, 2021] (only in Russian, for now), where he proposed to consider a sequence of numbers of the form a^a-a-1, where a > 2, a is any natural number, to search for large primes. The publication says that he calculated the numbers up to a = 5000. The largest a at which the Petrov's number is prime a = 1379.

I was interested in the topic purely from the practical side of the question - the search for new large primes. I have not yet figured out why Petrov offers such a strange formula, but I assume that this is not just so. Subconsciously , there is something in it, some meaning.

I used a small program that checks the numbers using the Miller-Rabin algorithm for 9 rounds. And I ran the "Petrov's numbers" through it to a = 10,000 - zero result. If it's not a mistake. Why is there such a spread of variable values? The last found value is a = 1379. The following is clearly a > 10,000. Embarrassed

In general, I'm going to use this formula in my program, where prime numbers are used. Why am I still interested: a series of values of the variable a for which the Petrov's numbers are simple a = 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 17, 22, 85, 710, 844, 1379. (Judging by the author's publication, I did not check it myself). And then there is nothing at least until a = 10,000. A very strange probability distribution of prime numbers for almost exponentially increasing values of numbers...

Can this sequence be finite for prime numbers?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 311 • Replies: 3
No top replies

engineer

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:08 pm
@syndixxx,
syndixxx wrote:

I have not yet figured out why Petrov offers such a strange formula, but I assume that this is not just so. Subconsciously , there is something in it, some meaning.

Or he did a regression looking for patterns and thought he spotted one that guarantees an odd number for any value of a. If I read your post correctly, this has never been used to identify a previously undiscovered prime, so it's interesting but not particularly meaningful.
syndixxx

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2021 01:35 pm
@engineer,
As I understand it, this is really something new in the field of searching for prime numbers. At least, I haven't found a similar formula anywhere. I am more interested in the probability of the distribution of prime numbers in the sequence given by Petrov. This is quite interesting.
0 Replies

syndixxx

Reply Fri 20 Aug, 2021 03:22 am
@syndixxx,
https://oeis.org/A065798. It turns out that this is a well-known sequence. Only there the check was up to a = 3000, apparently. Petrov finished up to 5000, I finished up to 10000. something like that))
0 Replies