Are airlines responsible when you are stranded at a connecting airport?

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 08:26 am
I guess part of this is legal, but I am asking more of your personal thoughts on what airlines are responsible for when you are stranded when you are making a connection at an airport.

I was reading this article and I did not agree 100% (although I certainly sympathized) with the family (edited to be brief)

"... they boarded a plane in Charlotte, there was severe weather so they sat on the tarmac for more than an hour-and-a-half and eventually get off the plane.

“My kids were starving. We hadn’t had a proper dinner at that point. It’s past bedtime. We already missed naptime for the baby, so now we were getting to bedtime,” ...."they ended up getting a hotel room in Charlotte, then rented a car and drove all the way back to Kentucky. She said American Airlines wouldn’t pay for any of those expenses and even lost one of their bags.

“I gave them a very hard time on Twitter and finally they start messaging ....
The airline refunded the flights the family didn’t use and their baggage fees.

“I don’t think they’re going to agree to refund the rental car and the hotel, which they absolutely should, but I don’t think there’s any way that’s happening, which is really disappointing. We were out a lot of money for a vacation back home, basically..."

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/familys-vacation-ruined-after-getting-stranded-charlotte-airport/6VTKTWC25NH7VNQOUGBUMJ6KNM/

So what are your general thoughts on this and what and when an airline should refund you or compensate you for...

Believe me I have been in similar situations - my kids are grown now but I have flown with infants, toddlers and on up in age to young adults.

What do you think - and how have you been treated by airlines?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 549 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:07 am
Well, here, the airlines are responsible for feeding you if the delay is small (a few hours) and housing and feeding you if it's overnight. I remember being delayed once and they shuttled us to a nearby hotel and gave us a voucher for the dining room.

The delay was due to inclement weather, and I've never understood why the airlines are responsible for an "Act of God".
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:21 am
Think of it this way... The greater the cost to the airlines, the higher the ticket prices will be. Taking care of families who are stranded by bad weather is a significant cost.

Customers have made it clear by their behavior that the most important thing is low fares. They whine about bad service, but they still consistantly pick the lowest fares over everything else (and who cares if cusromers whine as long as they keep buying tickets).

There is a tradeoff here, these policies have a real economic cost.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:34 am
@Linkat,
My understanding is the rule in the US is if the delay is the fault of the airline (plane breakdown, missing flight crew, etc) it is responsible and must feed and house you. If the delay is an act of nature, no one is responsible and everyone must bear their own costs. The airline eats their expenses, same for the passengers. This doesn't strike me as inherently unfair and honestly, knowing the rules, it made it easier for me the few times I've been stranded since I didn't spend hours waiting on the airline to set things up.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:36 am
Ok so I am in agreement with what you are both saying - I do not think you should be compensated for weather. Look at it this way would you rather fly in the bad weather?

I do think you should be compensated as Mame states if it is a result of the plane having an issue or an employee not showing up --- I know once the entire plane was delayed hours because a flight attendant overslept. That was years ago and I cannot believe they told us that (it was refreshing to have some honesty though).

In this case, the kids not being fed, and past their bedtime is on the parents. I say this as a mom who has traveled with young children. You know that these things can happen...so you prepare...you bring snacks, you bring entertainment for them, etc. As far as bedtime? They are kids - they sleep their in their seat.

The one fault I see in this case (and who knows if it was the fault of the airlines or air traffic control) - is sitting on the tarmac for a good amount of time. That sucks - and I think needs to reeled in a bit. At least if you are delayed in the terminal you can get up, go the bathroom, etc.

Also - the car rental for sure is their expense. They decided to drive home instead of continuing on their trip or flying back home - I would venture to guess that the airline would have done either of those due to the canceled flight.

Just a week ago I experienced something like this on American. Now granted my daughter was not stranded at a connecting airport, but we were notified the night before an early morning flight her flight was canceled. No explanation why - it came via a text and the text said they were working on re-booking her. Well being young just turned 18 - I looked at alternative flights that day - they were all overnight and I did not want her to be at some airport changing planes at midnight.

I called the airlines and actually got through within 20 minutes. The client service was trying to help and giving me those flights - I explained that I did not want her on those and we purposely purchased a more expensive flight so she would not be taking an overnight flight. I did not get angry just explained myself from a parent perspective and wanting her safe. I told her if needed she could fly the following day. Being patient and kind with her helped - she got us a better flight with a better airport to transfer (smaller and one she has flown to before) - at the end I thanked her for being so helpful. She seemed generally happy and thanked me for being so polite and kind. I laughed thinking I really did not do anything - and then realized and said to her - "oh, I am sure you get alot of irate people."

Sometimes having a little patience and kindness helps you out. It seemed she went out of her way to make me feel comfortable and happy -

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 09:40 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

My understanding is the rule in the US is if the delay is the fault of the airline (plane breakdown, missing flight crew, etc) it is responsible and must feed and house you. If the delay is an act of nature, no one is responsible and everyone must bear their own costs. The airline eats their expenses, same for the passengers. This doesn't strike me as inherently unfair and honestly, knowing the rules, it made it easier for me the few times I've been stranded since I didn't spend hours waiting on the airline to set things up.

Yeah - I do understand the legal part of it - just wondering what people feel the airline should do. This family seems to think the airline should compensate them for their vacation because of weather.

Although I agree it is tough to miss out of a vacation - what is the alternative to fly in bad and unsafe weather?

And also agree they should not have to compensate for everything - that just increases costs for all tickets. It is a business and they need to profit otherwise they will not have an airline.

So instead saying a mean tweet about an airline is the solution to get money back for something the airline has no control.
engineer

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:11 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Although I agree it is tough to miss out of a vacation - what is the alternative to fly in bad and unsafe weather?

I think this is a key point as well. Do you really want to incentivize airlines to try to fly in bad weather? (Of course, I think the airport/FAA really controls that)
Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 10:25 am
The time I was referring to, I was returning from San Fran to Vancouver from a mining conference. The flight at 5:30 left on time, the 7:30 (mine) was delayed due to snowstorms in Vancouver. Perfectly understandable to cancel the flight if it couldn't land safely. I was surprised to be put up in a hotel, taken there, and given a food voucher.

I have been given food vouchers in Cdn airports when the flight was delayed over 2 (?) hours - they give them out every so many hours. It's not much but enough for a meal of some sort.

Mechanical failure, not enough attendants, pilot late... all sorts of things happen.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:15 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

(Of course, I think the airport/FAA really controls that)

Good point and I think that the tarmac issue may be controlled by FAA as well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:25 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

The time I was referring to, I was returning from San Fran to Vancouver from a mining conference. The flight at 5:30 left on time, the 7:30 (mine) was delayed due to snowstorms in Vancouver. Perfectly understandable to cancel the flight if it couldn't land safely. I was surprised to be put up in a hotel, taken there, and given a food voucher.

I have been given food vouchers in Cdn airports when the flight was delayed over 2 (?) hours - they give them out every so many hours. It's not much but enough for a meal of some sort.

Mechanical failure, not enough attendants, pilot late... all sorts of things happen.

Yes - I have been given food vouchers too - I remember once getting very irate. It was more not the delay, but the back and forth communication.

I remember I was flying home with a stop over in Chicago. There was a mechanical issue so there was a significant delay. They gave out food vouchers with an estimated time of two hours - come back - it is going to be another couple of hours - come back again and then the flight is canceled and we are all rebooked.

I was irate because after 8 hours or so had I known I would have been there that long - I might have made other arrangements - gone elsewhere, etc. That was the irate part. We kept being promised another hour, come back and they change it.

I wrote and complained - gave specifics of why I was irate not that there was a delay but the continuous incorrect communication - they did send me a voucher for another flight.

But crappy things happen -- what if you were driving on vacation and your car broke down. Do you ask reimbursement from whom you bought the car? No - you get it fixed lose some valuable vacation time (maybe the whole vacation) and move on.

You want to be reasonably accommodated when it is their error - weather is tough because you cannot control it and neither can the airlines.

I remember way back when you used an actual person as a travel agent - we were planning a cruise - it was in the winter - the travel agent recommended to booking the flight with the cruiseline - she said it might cost a little bit more, but if there are delays/cancelations due to snow or weather or anything, the cruise line will then reimburse you if you miss the ship's boarding time. Whereas if you set up your own transportation to get the ship's terminal and you miss the boarding you are out of luck.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:30 am
A weather issue we ran into once (with baby in tow) - we were going to a graduation across country. We went to the airport and checked in and the attendant warned us that our flight was delayed (due to thunderstorms) which may cause us to miss our connection.

So we asked when the next connection would be --- all flights where we were going to were fully booked so it would be a couple of days before there was another with open seats - we'd miss the graduation and purpose of going there.

We explained (without anger) our situation with the attendant. She moved us up near the front of the plane so we would get off quickly, suggested we leave the car seat for the baby behind as well as the stroller (check it instead) as we would be able to run more quickly to the connection. Not much more they can do - it did work for us - fortunately - out of breath but made the flight.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 12:58 pm
Over here people don’t tend to fly unless they fly abroad and then there is travel insurance. Basically anyone registered with ABTA is OK, you’ll get flights home, refunds, hotels, whatever.
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 01:43 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Over here people don’t tend to fly unless they fly abroad and then there is travel insurance. Basically anyone registered with ABTA is OK, you’ll get flights home, refunds, hotels, whatever.

Yeah we have travel insurance as well - you pay extra for it.

Funny thing though my first experience with getting bumped off a flight was in Heathrow from British Airways when we were supposed to be flying home.

Not sure what the heck that airline was thinking there was a whole slew of people that were bumped - they way over booked that flight and there was not another until the next day.

They put us up in a hotel and we had meal vouches from the restaurant there - the odd thing is they were not going to pay for our phone calls overseas - idiots I had to call to let my boyfriend know I would not be there for him to pick me up (this was pre-cell phones). I called from the hotel room and when it was time to leave I just left, I did not check out. The hotel did not have my credit card as the airline was paying for the room so the airline had to pick up that tab for the international call. Other people that were bumped told me they checked out and had to pay for their calls.

We did get like have the airfare in cash as compensation for being bumped.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 01:50 pm
@Linkat,
I have always considered travel insurance to be a scam. I couldn't find data on what percentage of travel insurance premiums are paid out in ckaims. I imagine most of this money goes into the pockets of these businesses.

I am a little curious about how profitable these companies are.

Buying insurance is a form of gambling, you are paying a little to make a bet that something bad will happen. I buy insurance on for things that I cant afford to lose (life, house etc.). When I do buy insurance, I want to know how much of my premium will end up being paid out
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 01:53 pm
@Linkat,
The only time I’ve had a flight bumped was in America. Dallas airport on a stopover between London and ?Cancun. The next flight was two hours later, lots of time to get to know the airport.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:12 pm
I don't like it when when they overbook and offer $ to take the next flight. When you approach them, you find out it's a flight voucher on their airline. Nah, I'd rather have the cash. I got a Priority Pass for an airline lounge here just before the pandemic - now, that's a bummer.

Segue - Is anyone here planning on travelling in the next, say, 6 months? I have a chance to hook up (hello Linkat) with my husband in New Brunswick (think Maine) in early September if I can find a reliable and trustworthy dog-sitter. My dogs are 16 and 17 and still fairly peppy, needing walks.

Segue again - the dogs will no longer eat kibble. Or canned dog food. They bounce over to their bowls so excitedly then look at me in unison with a very disappointed look on their faces. So, yesterday I cooked them some liver. No. Didn't like that, either. I also bought some chicken hearts and gizzards from my farmer and after 2 days, they turned their little noses up.

Today I bought some pork somethings and 2 little beef roasts. Also had some chicken scraps that I nuked. Well, they liked that well enough. But maybe tomorrow (95% sure), they won't like them, either.

Some mornings I have to make them bacon and scrambled eggs. And how do they know the difference between my stew and canned stew?? I'm thinking of maybe just giving them cereal! I also have some stale baguette so maybe I'll make them some French toast (without the syrup). Sigh.

Has anyone else had this experience?
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:33 pm
@Mame,
In my particular case it was actually cash...true money not a voucher.

Oh and I am flying in about a week and a half...bringing my little one to college.
Mame

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 06:36 pm
@Linkat,
where are you going?
Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 08:43 pm
@Mame,
Chicago
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 06:09 am
@engineer,
Quote:
My understanding is the rule in the US is if the delay is the fault of the airline (plane breakdown, missing flight crew, etc) it is responsible and must feed and house you.
That has been my understanding.

Quote:
If the delay is an act of nature, no one is responsible and everyone must bear their own costs.
The airline eats their expenses, same for the passengers.
That also has been my understanding.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are airlines responsible when you are stranded at a connecting airport?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 09:24:09