Blues legend Long John Baldry dies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:30 pm
Quote:
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Blues legend Long John Baldry, who helped discover several music superstars including Rod Stewart, has died in Vancouver after a long illness, his agent said on Friday.

Baldry, 64, died late on Thursday in a Vancouver hospital surrounded by friends and family after a four-month fight with severe chest infection, Frank Garcia said in a statement posted on Baldry's Web site.

A hospital official confirmed the death.

Baldry, who was nicknamed Long John because of his 6'7" height, was considered a founding father of the British blues and rock 'n roll scene in the 1960s. He had lived and worked in Canada for the past 25 years.

Baldry's early projects such as Blues Inc., Cyril Davis and the All Stars and the Hoochie Coochie Men featured a plethora of musicians would go onto superstardom: Stewart, Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts, Jack Bruce, and Jimmy Page.

Elton John, then known as Reg Dwight, also performed with Baldry.

reuters
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 821 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:31 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/pix/baldry_john_getty_3205307.jpg

cbc
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:31 pm
Don't lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:35 pm
Quote:
The Making of a Legend by Rod Stewart (Reader's Digest/Dec/2004)
"For me, just shaking his hand - knowing all the great musicians whose hand he'd shaken before -was mind-blowing. But so was John. Picture this elegant man with a proper English accent, never without a tie, a towering six-foot-seven. I was a huge fan and I was intimidated by his offer. Rod Stewart wasn't in demand in those days; no one was interested. I immediately said yes. John had a knack for discovering talent. Ginger Baker, Jeff Beck and Brian Jones all worked with him early on. Elton John played piano in one of his bands, other Rolling Stones too - Charlie, Ron Wood, and Keith. In 1962, when the Rolling Stones were just getting started, they opened for him in London. Eric Clapton has said many times that John was one of the musicians that inspired him to play the Blues. And for their internationally televised special in 1964, the Beatles invited John to perform his version of 'I Got My Mojo Working'. In those days the only music we fell in love with was the Blues, and John was the first white guy singing it, in his wonderful voice. It was the true Blues and everyone looked up to him."

http://www.johnbaldry.com/index1.asp
0 Replies