Help Identify this exotic chest

Yeti63

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 02:28 pm
My grandfather purchased this chest in Panama canal around 1929.
He sent it to his sister with a letter saying not to ask but it was very expensive on a army letterhead with his unit on it.
The chest is made of teak wood.

Mame

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 02:29 pm
@Yeti63,
do you have a photo?
Yeti63

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 02:34 pm
@Mame,
How do I add pictures I am new
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 03:02 pm
@Yeti63,

you have to upload it to a free hosting site, then post the url here.

if you want to get fancy, use [img] tags to display the pic...
0 Replies

Yeti63

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 04:33 pm
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193597420@N02/

Ok pictures of the chest are here
0 Replies

Yeti63

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 04:36 pm
I'm sorry I ment 1939 not 29
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:00 am
@Yeti63,
It looks like a chest made in the China trade probably during mid 18th cntury through the early 20th. The wood crafting is excellent and somewhat stylized and almost abstract. its interesting but could be early 20th century craft work)
I could date it more precisly by looking at a closeup of the cabin corners. The China an Japanese trades had several different kinds of stylized jointery , using very complicated sliding joints on the corners, and since we dont see any evidence of dovetails (since the woodcarving lies atop the corner buttings) sveral joint patterns introduced during the Mid 1800s and , japan's an Chinese butt joints were more unique each to themselves.
meiji jointery usually used 3 serpentine cuts where the joints were "Slide in" and tgese kind went during 1840 through erly 20th cntury.

The brass lock is a little skanky though, it looks like a cheap rplacement because oriental brass hinges and lox were rather massive and were often used as design inspiration for ARts n Crafts stuff where hammr marks were considered a sign of craftsmanship.

That little block of wood in the second picture. Im no xpert but I do some "picking" for antique auctions, Ive seen those things being sold as "pillows". I dont know about the on you show but its not gonn give "my Pillow" guy an competition for comfort.
Most of theSamurai "pillows" are now being used for collections or even as doorstops.
heres 2 or 3 orintal antiquitis xpwrts on Antiques Road SHowm both the Brit and the US versions an these guys are very highly experienced because a lot of China trade goods and dynastic stuff) is being repatriated back to China and some for vry high prices (like JAde pieces or bowls and netsuki (japanese kimono "buckles" and especially horn or ivory pieces)

In any case Its a really nice looking chest (it would be a better offereing were it not been previously re lacquered
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:19 am
@farmerman,
I looked at an orintal wood working volume an , I hate to say it, but it also coul be from Philipines or Mekong Delta rgion, That stuff was mass produced as souveirnier goods and was quickly crafted with not the best hardwars.
However, Im gonna stick with trade goods from Japan or Ch
emmanuelg

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:40 am
@farmerman,
Kindly share any resources you may have about comparable antiques.
farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 04:54 am
@emmanuelg,
on here, you get opinions, not bibliographies. you want references, do your homework or else take a course in connoisseurship in whatver area you have interest . Thats what I did, I enrolled down at the WinterthurMuseum and the Delaware Art Museum for learning about Brandywine artists, AND I stuied some at NEWCOMB Collge in Nawlins about art pottery.

My notes are now, after 45 yrs, safly in my hwad an Im sure Ive forgotten some but I kep a healthy batch in reserve.
cmon dude, dont be a lazy daisy . ive done really well for a guy whose IQ is in the mid 70's
0 Replies

Yeti63

Reply Mon 2 Aug, 2021 10:05 am
@farmerman,
Thank you for your opinion it gives me some ideas.
I added some pictures of the corners and a lock that was with it, but I'm not sure it goes with it
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help Identify this exotic chest
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 07:32:05