Leaving the Priesthood

gollum

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 07:06 am
If a priest loses his faith and wishes to leave the priesthood, can he leave with some credit toward a retirement income and health insurance?

The relevance to this Forum (Ask a Question about Priest Child Abuser) is that a priest may not be able to leave the priesthood since he would be left with no way to support himself.

He dare not be seen with a young man or with a young woman. So he turns to the child for his sexual wants or needs. His doing so is wrongful but I think understandable.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 241 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 07:36 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

If a priest loses his faith and wishes to leave the priesthood, can he leave with some credit toward a retirement income and health insurance?

The relevance to this Forum (Ask a Question about Priest Child Abuser) is that a priest may not be able to leave the priesthood since he would be left with no way to support himself.

He dare not be seen with a young man or with a young woman. So he turns to the child for his sexual wants or needs. His doing so is wrongful but I think understandable.

Priests leave the Church all the time...by simply renouncing their vows. At times, the Vatican will grant them dispensation from their vows. At other times, the move is made in rebellion mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Catholic_priests
gollum

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 07:43 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank-

Thank you.

You say nothing about the question you purport to be answering (i.e., retirement income & health insurance).
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2021 09:03 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Frank-

Thank you.

You say nothing about the question you purport to be answering (i.e., retirement income & health insurance).

I was not purporting to answer that. I was commenting on the title of this thread.

As for whether or not retirement income and health insurance is vested or not, I suspect it is decided on a case by case basis...with most being decided that if you leave, you leave with a good-bye...and precious little else.

If you really want to know about that particular, I suggest you write to one of the people mentioned in the article to which I linked.
0 Replies