Why 80 degrees "feels like" 95 degrees (and why this is stupid).

Mame

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2022 10:10 am
I can see this as being a real problem:

"Instead, as heatwaves begin affecting more people’s lives more frequently, the question of what we can do about them is becoming ever more important. As the world sees the deadly mix of high humidity and high temperature more and more often, this could ultimately mean that some places simply become too hot to live in, opening up the need for migration pathways to enable millions of people to get away from their home areas."

hightor

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 03:00 am
@Mame,
I know. All our current problems with economic and political refugees will be greatly increased as the climate crisis worsens. Actually, some of the migration today is already due to climate change; Syria and Central America have been affected by drought and and areas of Southeast Asia are increasingly subjected to flooding.
Mame

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 07:25 am
@hightor,
And it's not just that the heat will be or already is unbearable, but there's a severe lack of water and drought. I can see Canada accepting more and more migrants. We're not as crowded as other countries, obviously, and as long as incomers are willing to living in the currently un- or little-occupied areas, we can take them.
hightor

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 07:57 am
@Mame,
Canada and Russia will be in similar positions – although I think Canada has a lot more water – hosting waves of climate refugees from the global south and settling them in those scantly populated areas. But you can see how unprecedented and disruptive this would be. Where do we find the money to develop the infrastructure to house and feed these people? What will they do to develop their own self-sustaining economies? And since most of these people won't be white what will their reception be? Nationalists in both Russia and North America have shown hostility to non-white, non-christian immigration.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 08:00 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
And it's not just that the heat will be or already is unbearable, but there's a severe lack of water and drought.

https://i.imgur.com/1pobzT5l.jpg

Fires due to climate change, observed by satellites during the last seven days in Europe. (The height of the tips depends on the area burnt in each case.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 08:04 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Lake Constance harbor: the boats are dry
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 09:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Canada and Russia will be in similar positions – although I think Canada has a lot more water – hosting waves of climate refugees from the global south and settling them in those scantly populated areas. But you can see how unprecedented and disruptive this would be. Where do we find the money to develop the infrastructure to house and feed these people? What will they do to develop their own self-sustaining economies? And since most of these people won't be white what will their reception be? Nationalists in both Russia and North America have shown hostility to non-white, non-christian immigration.

Brazil, Russia, and the USA all have more freshwater than Canada, surprising as it may seem.

Canada spent 8.4 billion in 2021 (https://cidpnsi.ca/canadas-foreign-aid-2012-2/) - surely we could use some of that funding to support climate refugees.

It may be "unprecedented and disruptive" but no more so, surely, than what's occurring in Europe right now with migrants contained in various enclosures (I'm thinking Greece). That's not that a good situation for anyone.

Religion is not as big a deal here as it is in the States. There are racists, nut jobs and nasty people everywhere, but most of us get along and accept the differences. Personally, I welcome the diversity.

It is a big problem and it's time to start doing something about it. The world is not actively working on reducing emissions so we have to deal with the fallout. More and more people will die of heat, thirst, starvation, and disease if we don't. The countries needing the most assistance are not even the ones contributing to the problem so they are not at fault and should be helped.

Top 10 Countries with the Highest Greenhouse Gas Emissions (in million metric tons, 2019 data):*

China — 9,877
United States — 4,745
India — 2,310
Russia — 1,640
Japan — 1,056
Germany — 644
South Korea — 586
Iran — 583
Canada — 571
Saudi Arabia — 495
hightor

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 02:34 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
The world is not actively working on reducing emissions so we have to deal with the fallout.

I know. But no one is listening.
'Dirty ol' coal' is making a comeback and consumption is expected to return to 2013′s record levels
Mame

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2022 03:38 pm
@hightor,
I agree no one is listening. That's why we're going to have this devastating fallout. The world needs a plan, but there aren't too many ideas floating around out there, certainly nothing concrete.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 30 Jun, 2023 03:33 am
https://preview.redd.it/fxnx22vwm19b1.jpg?width=1024&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=84664105a59b61389426b9264b515e6856fceadc
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:01:42