Healthcare rationing: The problem with public healthcare that no one wants to discuss.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 02:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I will give you Cuba. I wont give you Botswana (which has worse outcomes in life expectancy and infant mortality and access to health care in rural areas).

You would not be happy receiving health care in Botswana.

At least they are trying...and are making a better attempt than we are.

What about the other names on that list.
oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 06:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Any discussion of a national healthcare will need to have a discussion of rationing... what life-saving treatments will be excluded. If a health care system provides every life-saving treatment no matter how expensive or how sure the results, it will run out of resources very quickly.

I think we should rely on the medical profession to decide whether a given type of treatment should be funded in a given situation.

I dislike gatekeeping.

I dislike preventing patients from choosing their own doctor.

You may find this PDF helpful when comparing the health care systems that various nations have set up:
https://agus34drajat.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/health-care-systems_efficiency-and-policy-settings.pdf
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 06:50 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Public health care means rationing. It means that some panel of doctors will decide that some life saving treatments, or life improving treatment is simply not worth the cost. In those cases patients will go without (or go elsewhere).

People in the UK won't be going elsewhere.

If the NHS decides that someone should not receive a given treatment, they will use armed force to prevent them from seeking that treatment elsewhere.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 06:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
This thread is about health care rationing.

My healthcare (as an American) is close to the best in the world. What a doctor thinks I might need, be it a test just to be sure, or a procedure to eliminate a minor complaint, I get it with no waiting. In addition I get a routine battery of tests just to make sure I am Ok. A while ago I needed minor surgery for a minor bone growth... no problem, no waiting and no questions.

America doesnt have a health care problem for people in the professional classes, and I think the outcomes for well off Americans are truly among the best in the world.

America falls flat on its face with working class Americans. That is the problem.

A national healthcare system will likely hurt people in the professional class. They will have to wait longer, and they will be denied certain prpcedures and tests they took for granted before.

This is not political spin, it is economic reality.

And Linkat's fears are legitimate. Even in wealthy countries with national healthcare you can find stories of people upset by long waits for care or being denied care they believe is necessary.

Let's be honest. Not only is no system perfect, there will always be tradeoffs between one set of needs and another.

Not even Castro with all of his power could change that.
oralloy

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 07:29 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Even in wealthy countries with national healthcare you can find stories of people upset by long waits for care or being denied care they believe is necessary.

The more we are willing to spend on national health care, the better it will be.

"You get what you pay for."
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2021 11:08 pm
Wealthy people will NEVER be denied anything. Stop bullshitting.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 02:43 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This thread is about health care rationing.

If you did not want an answer like the one I gave you, perhaps you should not have asked a question like, "I am not here to defend the Amercian system, but ideological claims like this one are nonsense. Name a third world nation that is "handling this problem on a better plane". Give me a third world country and we will compare accessibility to healthcare, infant mortality and life expectancy."
izzythepush

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 02:56 am
@Frank Apisa,
Max’s problem is that he never stops to think before he opens his mouth.

Cuba is just the latest example.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:04 pm
It's interesting that so many Americans are concerned about the cost of universal healthcare - yet don't mind paying for Israel to have it.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:09 pm
@Wilso,
That's because rugged toughies like us don't need no steeking medical care. We prefer to die, owing a kings ransom as we do.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 12 Aug, 2021 11:15 pm
Before Ghadafi was rooted out and murdered even his country had free healthcare.
oralloy

Reply Fri 13 Aug, 2021 07:27 am
@edgarblythe,
Providing decent health care to Libya didn't make it okay for him to murder hundreds of innocent Americans.

He deserved a worse death than he got. Hopefully there's an afterlife with a Hell waiting for people like him when they die.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2022 10:27 pm
My daughter needed to see a doctor after school yesterday. Booked a visit on the national home doctor service. A few hours later, doctor arrived, examined her and wrote a prescription. All covered by our socialized health system. Whatever it is that the right wing American fvckheads think they've got, they can keep it. Wouldn't trade with them for anything.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2022 02:01 am
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:

My daughter needed to see a doctor after school yesterday. Booked a visit on the national home doctor service. A few hours later, doctor arrived, examined her and wrote a prescription. All covered by our socialized health system. Whatever it is that the right wing American fvckheads think they've got, they can keep it. Wouldn't trade with them for anything.

Thank you, Wilso.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:57:50