The United States and Canada border thread

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:38 pm
Personally, if I thought that someone was brewing meth or assembling bombs on my block, I'd report them.

One of the objections to encouraging and empowering Civilians-with-Routes is that paranoid chemists or terrorists might be temped to eliminate those civilians.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 02:53 pm
Well, I've known such stories only from the "iron curtain"-times - even smuggling in past WWII-(West) Europe was easier.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:27 pm
The big problem with tunnels is finding somewhere to put the dirt.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 04:34 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

I put it into bags tied around my legs under my uniform, then when I am standing on the vegetables patches that Jerry allows us, chatting to the chaps about cricket, I covertly pull strings attached to the bags, and it all tips out the bottom, to be disguised by the chaps. Failing that, I put it all in the hut roof.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:10 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Reyn--

What do you think about being eyes and ears for a government agency?

I guess you're asking if they have such a thing in Canada. Not as far as I know. It's never come to my attention.

What do I think of it? Let me put it this way. I have called Crimestoppers on a few occasions when I suspected pot grows. Unfortunately, sometimes little is done, because the police have thousands of such cases to already get through. So, usually nothing is done unless you have top grade info.

Technically, as far as the utility company is concerned, I'm not allowed to give police customer info due to privacy concerns, so I call anonymously. I think as far as this sort of thing is goes, I believe exceptions may be made by government.

The other thing is, I believe, many people think meter readers here already report pot grows, etc, which isn't true. Yes, generally most of us report energy diversions. Some time back, I reported an upside down meter to company security. At the time, I didn't even know that there was a 'grow' inside. In the end, the customer had to do a re-wire job, probably costing thousands.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:11 pm
Intrepid wrote:
hoosgow

Sorry, don't know what that is.....
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 06:16 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

That was one of the questions I thought about in this case. Apparently, dump trucks were used. I would have thought that that would have attracted lots of attention. You figure a tunnel that is 360 feet long. That's a lot of dirt to move!

The reason these jokers were caught in the first place is because a border security guard saw dirt coming out of the hut and construction material going in. That was some time back.

I believe if this gang had got past the construction phase of this tunnel, there would have been a good chance that they would not have been caught.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Personally, if I thought that someone was brewing meth or assembling bombs on my block, I'd report them.

One of the objections to encouraging and empowering Civilians-with-Routes is that paranoid chemists or terrorists might be temped to eliminate those civilians.

Yep clandestine labs sometimes blow up - that's a good enough reason for a report.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:17 pm
recently a meth shop blew up on the outskirts of our quiet city (only six federal penetentiaries in our neighbourhood). the meth shop had been cleverly concealed in the backsection of a body shop. a false wall had been installed and both businesses were "thriving". unfortunately something went wrong in the meth shop and the back wall was blown out. when the fire department arrived, they were surprised to find "a building within a building". hbg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Yep clandestine labs sometimes blow up - that's a good enough reason for a report.

From what I've read and heard, a big concern is also the waste by-products. Very toxic. In some cases, the building has to be demolished and any toxic substances have to be trucked away by a 'hazmat' team.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 08:38 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Another problem, too, is having to testify in court against these people, to give your evidence.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:14 pm
Suspects in drug-tunnel set to go before the courts next week
Jul, 22 2005 - 6:00 PM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) -- The men facing charges in connection with a drug tunnel linking BC and Washington State are back before the courts next week.

One of the men, 34-year-old Timothy Woo, was already wanted in the US on charges he was part of a drug smuggling ring.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 11:23 pm
Langley M.P. Glad Tunnel Men Charged IN U.S.
Jul, 22 2005 - 12:00 PM

Langley's M.P. is glad the men charged after the discovery of a tunnel under the border were caught in The States.

Conservative M.P. Mark Warawa says odds are the suspects - if convicted - will face much harsher penalties for marijuana trafficking in the U.S.

Law Enforcement Officials on both sides of the border deny the arrests were made south of the tunnel for that purpose.

Warawa says Canadian pot penalties are lower because the federal government is moving toward decriminalizing small amounts of the drug - which he says will not end smuggling.

"Decriminalizing marijuana is i think would exacerbate the problem."
He says organized crime will still run the pot business and unless the U.S. changes its rules the smuggling will only increase and relations between the countries will get worse.

Source[/color]
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:34 am
does it make you feel good to put good people into jail for a long time?

i mean marijuana is ... it's... damn you
0 Replies

puffthemajicdragonallday

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:43 am
marijuana is good
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 05:25 am
Reyn wrote:
What do I think of it? Let me put it this way. I have called Crimestoppers on a few occasions when I suspected pot grows.

Why turn someone in for marijuana?

On the off-chance you have not indulged yourself, you surely have several friends who have. Would you have liked to see someone turn them in?

I am truly astounded marijuana was not made fully legal years and years ago.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 09:30 am
puff & keltic -

First of all, I'm not about to turn this into a thread debating pot use. It's about a tunnel under the U.S. /Canadian border.

Such discussions are pointless. It's like debating politics or religion. I will not engage in a waste of time.

Noddy asked me a specfic question, and I answered it. For the record though, most pot grows have energy diversions, and that's why it's done.

End of story. If you want to debate pot use, there's a thread about that somewhere else on this board.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:09 am
Reyn--

Hear! Hear!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 12:05 pm
It is about the tunnel, Reyn. Hold your dominion.

Sorry, Noddy. Couldn't pass it up.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:25 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing

And another thing.... I don't debate....period. I will discuss, but not debate.

There are some areas of this board that you will never see me.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/26/2024 at 02:01:45