E-book vs print book...

Seizan

Tue 13 Jul, 2021 06:46 pm
So far this year, I've published two books using Amazon's KDP (Kindle Direct Printing). I am constantly asked to republish both as e-books. I feel a bit uncomfortable with e-books because I'm not sure of copyright security. It seems that it would be easy to rip off an e-book and resell it. Copyright laws are difficult to uphold and enforce in some countries, so it would be hard to effect legal action against someone who recopies and alters an e-book and sells it as his own work.

The feel of a book in the hands can't be beat. But I do consider that sometimes it's difficult for people in some countries to buy a book a and have it shipped.
Still, I'm not sure. I don't put much stock in the claims of Amazon that their copyguard security is near foolproof (look at the ease with which DVDs and Blue Ray disks can be copied or pirated today -- anyone can do it).

Anyone here have experiences, pro and con, with e-books?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,309 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

rockhudson

Wed 14 Jul, 2021 03:39 pm
with amazon or similar this process can be secured
0 Replies

RobinPrice

Thu 5 Aug, 2021 05:29 am
@Seizan,
Ability to skim quickly: It is easier to skim a real book than an ebook. Going back and forth in a printed book is much faster as compared to that an ebook reader. ... If you don't read much, a print book will be more economical. But if you read a lot of books, the overall cost is reduced with an ebook reader.
Seizan

Thu 5 Aug, 2021 05:49 am
@RobinPrice,
Thanks. I decided to stay with the printed books. I like the feel of a real book in the hands, and yes it is easier to skim the book than scroll up and down through an e-book.

My wife and I just published our 3rd book since the April book. She has at least 2 in the works, while I have 2 more karate-related books and a series of children's books (maybe 8 or 10). We both prefer physical books.

Again, thanks!
Linkat

Thu 5 Aug, 2021 02:52 pm
@Seizan,
I used to think that - that I like the feel of a real book; my kids bought me a kindle because I like to read so much.

I know am converted - it is so much easier to get "free" books. Download from any library; even with Amazon prime I get many books free from there as well.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 5 Aug, 2021 03:45 pm
I have gotten hooked on audio books. I can now read while I am ironing or driving.

I am looking forward to the day we can just pump in books through our neural implants.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 5 Aug, 2021 10:04 pm
I prefer physical books. I like to handle them and read from a comfortable position.
LifeLiner

Sat 11 Sep, 2021 09:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I prefer E-books because when you are finished reading it and it was too good to throw away, you can save it on your hard drive incase you want to read it again one day. It's not sitting there on your bookshelf rotting.

Copyright for the author is well protected because all the evidence is there for the world to see and readily available.
0 Replies