Neurotic behaviors/habits

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:41 pm
I have this horribly disgusting habit of chewing on my fingers...it's no joke, either. On many of my fingers, I have chewed the skin all the way up to my first knuckle. It's gross, but I can't stop! And since I quit smoking, it's gotten worse. I do it until they bleed sometimes. Although, I did notice that during my trip to Italy and the week that I had off from work recently, I didn't do it as much. Connection? Hmmm...

So what is your neurotic habit of choice? Chewing your fingernails? Biting your lip? Excessive hand wringing?

I wonder what percentage of people have some neurotic habit that they can't seem to stop.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,296 • Replies: 27
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:44 pm
We've all got them, don't we?

How many people here chew the dead skin on the insides of their mouths? I do, so does my sister. I see this more and more in the general population and wonder whether we are all just getting more neurotic or whether I am just more aware of it.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:57 pm
When I am working (or goofing off) and I am using a computer and reading the screen and otherwise not typing I rest my fingers on the keyboard in the classic qwerty position (I touch type) and then I gently tap the keys. It annoys the heck out of me.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
I dont chew my nails, but I chew the skin on my finger around the outside of my thumbnails only.....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:10 pm
Neurotic habits? Yes, I have those. Hard to believe, isn't it? But I think I'm actually obsessive compulsive in some ways. I have my little rituals...

Like, for instance, every day when I leave my apartment...I have to check and make sure the oven is off. I know it is...but I still have to check. If I don't, it bothers me all day. I'll sit there thinking my oven is on, and my apartment's going to blow up.

Just yesterday, I was on my way to an important job interview. I was already out the door, walking down the hallway...then I stopped dead in my tracks. I had to go back in my apartment, and check to make sure the oven was off.

I'm a madwoman sometimes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:19 pm
Yes, you are. Hehehe...seriously, you had better get that under control, or one day it really will start to be a problem. Like for instance, with my neurotic behavior, sometimes I have multiple fresh wounds on my fingers where I've ripped off the skin with my teeth.

Once I was training a new employee and she freaked when she saw my fingers. It made me feel terrible, and I vowed to stop. Ten minutes later I caught myself doing it again. Oh well.
0 Replies

Levi

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:28 pm
I always close and lock the bathroom door. I live alone.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:30 pm
That's so neurotic, Levi. Welcome to the club!!

About that quitting smoking thing? That's something I really want to do, but I know I'll be a basket case. In fact, I'm going to go outside now and think about that -- while I have a cigarette.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 10:32 pm
I touch myself in naughty ways.

And sometimes, I'll sing in the car, really, really, loud! I'm LIVING ON THE EDGE!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
LOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!
0 Replies

tommrr

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:10 pm
littlek wrote:
Quote:
How many people here chew the dead skin on the insides of their mouths?

Uhhh....put me on that list. And when I am working the heavy hours and the more tired I get, the more I do it...almost to the point of going past the dead stuff......
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:39 pm
I have always pulled at my hair. You know how fetching that is. But then not. I used to pull at my hair when studying. I advanced to sort of picking at my head. Scratch scratch. This was either because of incipient dermatitis, or caused incipient dermatitis.

Now it's full blow dandruff, which is ridiculous. Me, dandruff?
But it coincides with a turn in my allergies, which I presume you don't want to hear about.

So, I'll be quick about it -
years of sneezing -
transitioned for no good reason to
years of scratching,
more years pass,
excema, yikes,
then some asthma, although I had
light asthma earlier when jogging.

I'm waiting for the next thing.
Limb flaking-off.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:45 pm
(er, I have a long time friend whose husband has lost two limbs. So my soliloquy is re me, now.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:47 pm
I do some of my best listening, like in meetings, with a pen in hand. Lots of other people do it, and believe me, there's nothing worth taking notes on.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 11:59 pm
<I believe you>
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:28 am
I compulsively follow children home from school in my noisy green hatchback.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:34 am
mine is scratching m head ( sort of like osso ) but I scratch the skin so hard sometimes it hurts.. but I keep doing it.
I find a small spot to scratch and just keep going. I have scratched so hard at times I have pulled the hair out.
I usually prop my arm up on something, lean my head into my hand and
scratch scratch scratch.
You would think i had lice.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:39 am
i am compulsive about my alarm. i have to check it a million times before i go to bed. i mean i set it two months ago for 610am and i turn it off on friday night and on on sunday night. but i have to check it every night three or four times to make sure it is right. even dumber, my husband's alarm is set to 7am so even if i miss mine, his goes off at 7 still leaving me plenty of time to make it to work.

i am also in osso's exzema on my head category. and i cannot leave it alone. sometimes i make my head bleed! its horrible, but i cannot stop messing with it.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:40 am
Stepping into the circle containing Little K and tommrr.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:45 am
ice cube buckets have to be full at all times.
both home & work.
no exceptions!
dammit!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 11:26 am
Do I have dead skin in my mouth? How can I tell? I'll probably pick up that habit after I find out what it is.

I'm a hair twirler. Oh, and I tap the ASDFJKL; keys when thinking at the keyboard too. There are surely more habits, I just haven't noticed them all.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Neurotic behaviors/habits
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:23:26