What's the deal with computer printer service costs?

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:23 am
Hi. I was told it would cost about the same amount of money or more money to service a printer (i.e., get it fixed and/or get a replacement part or parts for it) than to get a new one.

I was trying to find out about nearby local electronics places in my hometown or county, aside from the comp shop up the street from where I live, that service printers. My nearest local comp shop doesn't. My neighbors and the people in the comp shop don't know of any places around town or in my county I can go to to get my printer serviced and they all said what I previously stated.

The ADF cover on the laser color all-in-one printer I ordered from Ebay was broken off the hinges and a piece off the cover itself was broken off. I don't have the pieces for the hinges.

I'm hoping HP, the company who made my printer, can help me with getting the ADF cover on my printer fixed and/or replaced. I'm going to contact HP but at this point I don't know if I should bother.

One of my neighbors was nice enough to give me a printer but I don't know if it can copy, scan and fax. I'm going to find out if I can download drivers that will will allow me to copy, scan and fax with this printer.

One of my other neighbors said I could get a printer from his brother. Im going to contact this neighbor about this.

I hope he can give me a color laser all-in-one. I was thinking about buying an Epson Supertank printer even though it's an inkjet printer.

Why does it cost so much to service computer printers now? Have they fallen out of common and/or popular use?

Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 3,149 • Replies: 9
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:26 am
It’s not just printers, it’s across the board, and is technology at its worst.

When I was a kid if the toaster or kettle broke we would take it to be repaired. Now it’s cheaper to buy a new one.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:49 am
@izzythepush,
Unfortunately, as I have learned from experience, a LOT of products being made now aren't made to last. It seems like that's a marketing ploy to get you to spend more money to buy more product.

If the charming USPS postman who delivered the printer I ordered from eBay didn't drop and damage the printer the day he delivered it I wouldn't be talking about this.

Fortunately I was reimbursed for the printer and the bonus toner cartridges that came with it. I don't have money to waste.
Linkat

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 06:04 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If the charming USPS postman who delivered the printer I ordered from eBay didn't drop and damage the printer the day he delivered it I wouldn't be talking about this.

Fortunately I was reimbursed for the printer and the bonus toner cartridges that came with it. I don't have money to waste.

Well since you were reimbursed you are no worse off - so just use that money to buy another printer.

It almost sounds like you are trying to benefit from this mishap. Trying to get this computer fixed for less than what you got reimbursed for thus making money off this deal. You already had in a sense since you got the toner cartridge without paying a dime.

I do agree though most things are not worth repairing - such a shame just in the fact that we end up wasting and sending things to the dump rather than repairing and reusing.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2021 03:20 pm
@Linkat,
I'm going to call Hewlett-Packard, the company that made my damaged printer, and see of they can help me with getting the ADF cover fixed. I haven't called their customer service line yet.
0 Replies

irece

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2021 03:02 am
@JGoldman10,
Canon is also best printer.. and if you looking for inkjet then must check canon its cost effective printer!
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 29 Jun, 2021 07:01 am
@irece,
Are laser printers necessarily BETTER than inkjet? I did research on this and asked people and the general overall consensus was that laser was better.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2021 11:30 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It’s not just printers, it’s across the board, and is technology at its worst.

When I was a kid if the toaster or kettle broke we would take it to be repaired. Now it’s cheaper to buy a new one.

I know my parents had the same toaster and waffle press for years. Same thing, the small appliance was taken to a repair shop and fixed. They made it thru the Depression and the Second World War, nothing was wasted or junked.
0 Replies

briinkly

Reply Fri 10 Sep, 2021 05:19 am
@irece,
Agree with you but still, the printer needs services like if it is ink-jet then you must have to fill the cartridge and need some cleaning
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 11 Sep, 2021 08:46 pm
@irece,
Hi. I decided I'm going to buy an Epson Supertank printer even though they aren't made anymore. Why? The ink lasts a long time.
0 Replies