Norway Is Going Backwards on "Saving" Whales

Linkat

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2021 08:30 am
Hey all - I am not an over the top "petition signer" type - but I fully trust what the WDC has to say. I personally have a friend that is part of this organization and can vouch for their knowledge and how they handle animal conservation while balancing the needs for things like local fishermen and others - they tend to work with others to find mutually beneficial ways to provide for these people's livelihoods while also speaking up and supporting these magnificent creatures.

Norway faces backlash for its plans of “unacceptable” minke whale hearing experiments

More than 50 scientists and vets are calling for a halt to the plans to capture and run tests on 12 minke whales.

A statement of concern signed by the scientists and vets warns the tests have significant potential for causing injury and stress and could lead to “capture myopathy” – harm to or death of wild animals as a result of stress or exertions fighting capture and restraint.

The Norwegian Food Safety Authority, which awarded the permit for the research by the Norwegian Defence Research Establishment, said it believed the results would benefit both minke and other whales as more would be learned about how noise pollution in the ocean can disturb the animals.

Vanessa Williams-Grey, policy manager at Whale and Dolphin Conservation, and one of the signatories, said: “This experiment is both ill-conceived and unnecessary – we already know that human-made noise in our ocean damages and disturbs whales.

for full article: https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/norway-minke-whale-hearing-experiments-b937078.html

They are close to the 75k signature of this petition - please sign if you support the stop of this unnecessary experiment.

https://bit.ly/3yUOL1t
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 384 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 04:24 am
@Linkat,
Norway has always been on the wrong side of the argument on this issue.

It’s a loophole, similar to Japan’s “scientific” whaling where all catches still end up on the plates of Japanese restaurants.
Linkat

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 07:08 am
@izzythepush,
Yep… it’s just dumb and even more annoying is they are get some funding from US companies.

They are at 72 k signatures now 8 k below their target.
Linkat

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2021 12:10 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yep… it’s just dumb and even more annoying is they are get some funding from US companies.

They are at 72 k signatures now 8 k below their target.

Oops and I am dumb can’t do simple math … it is 3 k below target
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Norway Is Going Backwards on "Saving" Whales
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 05:18:43