Possible Prostate Biopsy

nycdad

Reply Sat 12 Jun, 2021 02:49 pm
My PSA level is 4.9, which is pretty high for my age. I gotta go back in 6 weeks to get another blood test done for PSA. I am hoping that my PSA goes down or remains the same.

If my PSA level continues to rise, this is a bad situation. My father died from prostate cancer in April 2010. An elevated PSA is caused by different things (aging, infection in the prostate and cancer). I'm sure there are a few more reasons for an elevated PSA, but typically cancer is the culprit in most men.

The only way to know for sure is to experience a prostate biopsy. The VA Hospital does not put patients to sleep for this anal procedure. Patients are simply sedated. I am afraid of the procedure if needed in the near future. I am not rushing into a prostate biopsy situation.

I don't know if you know, but sedation is not the same as general anesthesia. I know the prostate biopsy procedure is not without pain but it is the only way to determine the reason why the prostate is growing. If you ever had this done or know of someone who had it done, please share your story. Thanks.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 181 • Replies: 0
No top replies